The Woodhouse Day Spa

The moment you step foot into the lobby of The Woodhouse Day Spa in Montclair, NJ, you’re forced to use your inside voice.
The crashing waves and flirty piccolos that play softly from the speakers overhead, drown out the sirens, street traffic and construction work going on outside.
After I check in for my facial, my therapist, Jenna, leads me to the locker room where I change into a white terrycloth robe and soft, cushiony flip-flops. The locker-room is bright and airy, with mahogany stained wooden lockers and bathroom fixtures to match.
Once I’m done changing, I leave the locker-room to find Jenna standing at the door waiting for me. She takes me to The Quiet Room.
Here, I unwind with a hot cup of chamomile tea and wait for my facial. The room is not that quiet, as three women bicker about the rising costs of auto insurance. They apologize for being so chatty. I don’t mind. They’re using their inside voice.
As soon as I’m done with my tea, Jenna comes back to take me to the facial room.
The mood is set: dimly lit room, soft music playing in the background. Jenna steps out while I slip out of my robe and climb into the heated – yes heated – bed where she’ll do my facial.
I get so comfortable; I nearly fall asleep before she comes back into the room.
To get things started, she moisturizes her hands with peppermint scented lotion and hover them over my face. After I breathe in and out three times, she places hot stones over my eyes to block the white, hot light she uses to examine my skin before she works her magic.
“You have great skin, Mr. James,” says Jenna.
“Thanks. I get that a lot,” I brag.
But Jenna, being the pro that she is, finds the dark circles around my eyes a bit problematic and moisturizes the hell out of them during the 50-minute soothing facial, which also includes: an upper back, shoulder, arm and hand massage as well.
By the time she's done, my face feels like a baby’s ass and has an even, matte finish.
After I put my robe back on and walk out of the facial room, Jenna, like clockwork, is standing there with a wine glass of water and lemon.
“How was your facial Mr. James?” she asks, handing me the glass.
“Great. I enjoyed it.”
She walks me to the locker room but I don’t rush back into my clothes. Instead, I stare at my “new” face in the mirror and then sit there for a moment to chill.
After 30 minutes, I start to hear the hustle and bustle of the staff in the hallway. It’s closing time.
I put on my clothes and go to the lobby.
Once it’s time to pay, the cashier tells me that Jenna recommended several products for my face, which they just so happen to sell right there in the lobby.
Knock it off Jenna. We just talked. You said it yourself, my face is fine.
But I don’t get upset. Jenna’s only doing her job.
I politely decline, pay for my facial, get my parking validated and head for the door.
But before I step back into reality: the sirens, the traffic and the construction work, I stop and listen to the waves crash and the piccolo play – and with my inside voice, tell the cashier thank you and leave.
Want my experience? Check out The Woodhouse Spa wesbite to find a location near you.
Also, in honor of National Spa Week (April 12-18), The Woodhouse Day Spa is offering discounted rates on the following services:
Chakra Aroma Therapy Massage
Organic Sea Polish
Organic Sugar Scrub Pedicure
*Soothing Facial
*Recommended



Comments