Am I An Alcoholic?

I was on the phone with my father recently and we almost came to blows over something he said to me.

We were talking about family stuff and out of no where he asks...

Have you had a drink today?

Me: Excuse me?

Father: Have you had a drink today?

Me: No, why?

Father: Just wondering. I know how you like to get it in.

Me: [Appauled] What do you mean?

Father: Well, every time I speak to you, you're always talking about how you were at this party or that party, drinking.

Me: Well, I haven't been out today. So no, I didn't have a drink. And for the record, that's what people do when they out. They drink.

Father: Not me. When I'm at my sober dances we have a good time without any sort of controlled substance.

Me: [Looks at phone] Duh! That's because y'all are addicts in recovery! You can't have alcohol!

Father: I'm aware of that. The point I'm trying to make is that you don't have to drink to have a good time.

Me: Wait. Are you trying to say you think I have a drinking problem? Because if you are, we are about to get into a serious argument right now.

[Pause]

Father: Okay. Then I won't say it then.

Me: [Not letting it go] Just because I drink when I go out and have the occasional glass of wine after a long day at work doesn't mean I have a problem. I do not have a drinking problem.

Father: You do, Shydel. You just don't know it yet. I just pray that you don't drink and drive and that you're safe out there.

Me: [Thisclose to hitting the "End Call" button] Let's just talk about something else, please.

So we did.

After I hung up and grumbled no that n***a did not call me an alcoholic a few times, I started to give his accusation some thought.

Do I drink too much?

I remember when I first started seeing my psychiatrist last year, we spoke briefly about my drinking habits.

Shrink: Do you drink alcohol?

Me: Yep!

Shrink: How often?

Me: About four or five times a week.

Shrink: When you're out with friends or alone at home?

Me: Both.

Shrink: [Jotting down notes on a pad] Oh, okay. So you're a habitual drinker then.

Me: What do you mean?

Shrink: Anyone who is comfortable drinking alone at home is a habitual drinker.

Me: Is that a bad thing?

Shrink: Maybe. Maybe not. I guess we'll see.

We never spoke about it again.

Sure, of course I drink socially when I'm out with friends...






Or at home alone after a long, hard day at work...





Or at home working on a story...





Or at work on Fridays...






Or when I need to offset the sweetness of a good cookie with the tartness of wine ...










And of course I always make room for a good cordial when out for a night of fine dining...






Sometimes I use more than one straw...










And other times, I take it to the head!




There was that time I drank from a fish tank...






And the time I almost got thrown out of Panera Bread for BYOB-ing it (stemware and all)...






A lot of folks take pictures of their food (myself included). Well, I like to take pictures of my drinks too...











And sometimes I do before and afters...







And don't get me started on my infamous "Sock It To Me" sangria recipe.




The "Sock It To Me" sangria waiting for me and mom on Christmas Eve...







And every now and then I wash down my pills with a pomegranate martini...







There's even a drink posted front and center in my banner picture...





And my apartment stays alcohol ready.  Here's the wine bar Mom bought me earlier this year...





Oh, and I caught a steal on this wine cooler at Home Depot during Black Friday last year...





And if you ever come to my crib for a drink, check your Dixie Cups at the door. There's a wine glass-only rule up in this piece.




Yes, I love to drink. It's no secret. But do I have a problem?

To help me answer that question, I visted alcoholicsanonymous.com to take the "Am I An Alcoholic" survey.








I decide this can't be right and that AA is being dramatic, so I take another survey on recoveryconnection.com.







Yikes!

And no lie. In the middle of writing this post, out of no where, Smirnoff starts following me on Twitter. And I didn't tweet one thing about booze. And no, I didn't follow back.


Is my father right? Do I have a problem that I don't know about? If anyone knows the early warning signs of addiction, it's him!

In my defense, I'm a young, urban professional. That's what we do. We drink.

My grandfather always said: Never trust a man who doesn't drink.

But do I drink too much? Should I reach out to a counselor?

While I sip on a glass of wine and mull that over, tell me about your drinking habits.

Do you drink more than you care to admit? Are you a social or habitual drinker? Would you pass the "Are You An Alcoholic?" assessment test?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

I pondered this same question a long time ago. I am in fact an "alcoholic" But at the moment, my drinking IS NOT a problem. I am successful in my career and my family and friends love me. There are alcoholics out there that need to stop drinking and there are alcoholics who don't. You'll know when its a problem that only Sober can solve ;) I love your blog btw.
Anonymous said…
Nope I'm purely a social drinker...primarily because I don't really like the taste of most alcohol all that much, so I'm primarily using it when I'm partaking with others and just enjoying the atmosphere.
I also think that drinking alone is a slippery slope that I don't want to find myself veering down. And finally, I consider drinking to generally be a "celebratory" activity and I don't find much reason to celebrate alone.

This may all be a moot point though, considering that generally on any given night of the week or weekend, I can easily find a friend to have a drink with if need be.

Man, now I may have to reconsider this all myself.
Anonymous said…
Oh, and I'm not one to judge but the amount of pics you have drinking/of drinks is a little off-putting.

But I'm also paranoid about the # of pics of me with drinks exist in the world so even when I have drinks I try to hold them out of the camera shot.
This is the best post I ever read. I also think that you BYOB to Panera just made you 10x more awesome in my head.

I used to drink alot. ALOT. Like 99 Bananas and OJ for breakfast. Then one day I just stopped. Now if I have 3 drinks a year I'm lucky.

Only you can know if you're drinking too much. If drinking is stopping you for doing things for example: like getting to work on time..then you need to quit.

Its all about the balance and being able to say no I won't drink today if you know you can't. If you're able to do that..then you're not really at the point where we need to call in help.
Anonymous said…
OMG!! This has got to be the funniest story i have read this year..and i love it..i have not had the pleasure to sit with you for a drink..hopefully one day soon but i dont think ur an alky so..your young and this is what we do..drink! i would be mad too and my mom does the same thing your dad does and im like i dont drink all the time..she gotta alot of nerve thow..Tue Story: the dr asked my mom "did you ever drink" Mom: Yes. Dr: "Socially or heavy" Mom: I drank heavy socially" What nerve! but i thought it was the funniest thing she has ever said..but yes i understand i get unpset too when she makes comments about my drinks....IM GROWN do you and i do me! SON! I guess it runs in the family..
Anonymous said…
LOL this is the most funny and honest thing i read in a while. I can totally relate to that, front to back, i dont like to have my picture taken, but else i could have written the exact same shit and posted very similar pictures. though i am more of a whiskey guy, fuck coctails

i just did both those tests and came up with the same score as you - dont think either of us are alcoholics (yet) as long as we manage our lifes
I drink socially. For me not to drink while out with friends is a rarity. On occasion, I'll drink alone at home. I keep liquor and wine at home, but it's basically here for if company shows up. I don't think I'm an alcoholic, but I do deal with addictive behaviors. My shrink and I talk about my umm..."strange relationship" with food all the time.
>>> said…
the photo reel. . .dead
I think you are on the verge of being an alcoholic in a few years. You are going to be tired of partying, but not tired of drinking - hence drinking a lot alone. I am pretty much the same as you, maybe worst in my partying days. These days I am drinking nothing for a while. It became a daily thing, not getting drunk, just drinking after work.

Be mindful, it runs in the family IMO.

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With Dad

Film Review: Red Hook Summer

In The Closet