Former Actor, Shydel James?

Ever since I was a little boy, I've always wanted to be an actor. It just took me a while to figure it out.
I would lay out on the living room floor with a binder full of college ruled paper and write characters names with words next to them and then read the words out loud. I had no idea I was writing a script and acting it out.
You see, growing up and going to school in the inner-city, I had no real outlet for the arts, especially acting. It was all about how fast you could run, how many baskets you could make or how many touchdowns you could score. No one was checking for the little bookworm who had a flair for the arts.

By the time I reached high school, I embraced my aspirations and decided to pursue theatre in college.
The plan was to go to Rutgers University's Mason Gross School of the Arts and finally get this show on the road, except Rutgers didn't accept me.
I ended up going to The College of NJ (formerly known as Trenton State College) also a reputable school, except they eliminated their theatre program the year before I was accepted.
I ended up majoring in communications. It wasn't too bad but my thirst for drama remained unquenched.
I transferred to The New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts.
![]() |
| Here I am with my second year classmates. I'm the Black one in the middle. |
After graduating from the conservatory, I hit the ground running by landing the lead role in the very first film I auditioned for.

A week after shooting wrapped on that production, I was whisked away to Maryland to shoot the lead role in another film. Then after that, the stage roles started to pour in:
![]() |
| Nile Blue |
![]() |
| Fences |
![]() |
| Full Bloom |
![]() | |
| The Newark Star-Ledger |
![]() |
| Talkingbroadway.com |
I had finally carved a space of my own on the Internet Movie Database.
I joined the Screen Actors Guild and the Actors' Equity Association.
I was flying high and loving life. My dreams were coming true. I was on my way.
Then, something happened:
The phone stopped ringing.
The influx of roles slowed down.
The auditions became sparse.
The agents who at one time showed interest, were
It was bound to happen. Every actor experiences the occasional dry spell. But mine lasted for over a year. That's when it began to dawn on me:
I'm living my dream. But I'm also living my life, sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring. What am I supposed to do with myself when things are slow? What happens if the phone never rings again? Who am I besides an actor? What else inspires and motivates me?
While trying to figure out the answers to those questions, I went back to school and got my degree in theatre arts (the conservatory wasn't a degree issuing institution).

And in the midst of "finding myself," I remembered that little boy who used to spend his weekends on the floor writing stories; the fifth grader whose teacher told him he was an exceptional writer for his age; the senior who was the editor-in-chief of his high school newspaper...and I realized:
Duh! I love to write too!
The acting, as rewarding as it was, gave me a severe bout of tunnel vision. I forgot that I was good at other things too.
With the help of my homie and mentor Aliya S. King, I began pitching stories to national magazines - and getting the green light.
Before I knew it, I was establishing relationships with high profile editors, being courted to write pieces for online publications and had amassed so many clips and bylines, I needed a website to house them all.
Out of the blue, a new career emerged - and it only continues to flourish. (I'm interviewing John Legend on Wednesday).
That's all good and dandy but what about the actor in me?
I haven't been on stage in a play since I did the Suzan-Lori Parks play 365 Days/365 Plays at the Public Theatre in 2007.
The last performance I did was a staged reading of Bring the Beat Back, an apocalyptic work of music and drama.
![]() |
| I played the boy crazy son of a major music icon who gets swindled into giving away his late mother's priceless beats. |
I haven't shot a film since I was Omarion's understudy and a featured extra in the Jennifer Lopez produced flop, Feel The Noise back in 2006.
Hey, it paid some bills.
*Shrugs*
I went on one audition this year - and rocked it. But I never received a callback. Come to find out, the director did email me to come back in but it mysteriously disappeared from my inbox.
This was for the lead role in a play running in the New York City International Fringe Festival.
*Sigh*
![]() |
| The show opens next month |
Both my SAG card and Equity card are expired.
And I haven't updated my actor website since February.
And Folks are starting to get suspicious.
Folks: What's up with the acting stuff, Shydel?
Me: Oh, nothing much. I'm concentrating more on my writing now.
Folks: Aww, man. You gave up on acting?!
Me: Uh, no. I'm just doing other things that interest me as well.
Folks: UmmHmm o__O
Thing is, that's what I'm known as: The actor.
My coworkers have postcards and programs from my shows up in their cubicles. Friends and family have gone out to buy all my films and see all my plays (the good and the bad ones).
They're invested in my dwindling acting career; meanwhile, I'm traipsing around town trying to be the next Ed Bradley.
Don't get me wrong. I love the art of acting. I love the craft. The excitement and fear of curling up with a new script to discover the objectives and pinpoint the actable moments is unmatched. From meeting up with the cast for the first table reading to bowing during the final curtain call of a sold out run gives me a thrill that has yet to be duplicated. It's all wonderful!
But that's just it: That's all I love. I hate auditioning. I loathe going through the casting breakdowns, searching for roles that match my physical attributes, only to see that it's to play a drug dealer or somebody's baby father. I despise the thought of having to pay to perform monologues in front of agents and casting directors who I know are there just to collect a check and don't give a damn about me. And all of that is just as much a part of the process as anything else.
What does this all mean?
Have I...
*shudders*
...given up on acting?
Am I just a writer a now?
When I was just an actor, I felt like I was neglecting other facets of my personality.
Now that I'm a professional writer, I feel like I've given up on my acting career and subsequently let some people (and myself) down.
What do you guys think?
Am I just never satisfied?
Can I do both?
Or has the acting ship sailed?
What if I don't act for another year or more?
Will I still be able to call myself an actor?
What happens when you define who you are by what you do - and then you no longer do that thing anymore?
Then what?
While I was digging through my storage unit to find pictures for this post, I stumbled across my high school yearbook and wondered what I put down as my career goals.
Here's what I found:

Would you look at that: Theatre Arts and Journalism!
I guess I had this all figured out a long time ago.
Talk to me.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.











Comments
-Aliya
Our lives are so parallel it's scary. I went to journalism school and worked that career for awhile before finding acting. Now of course I'm doing neither.
But like you, I love acting but hate show business. It's great to perform, go through the rehearsal process, be creative around creative people, etc., but auditions, rejection, scrounging for jobs and starving financially, sucks.
It was while working a 9-5 years ago and subsequently getting laid off from it (a good paying NYS government gig) I realized then I was more than my job title. I was really my collection of skills. I discovered that job security came not from having a job but from having the ability to earn a living. Acting and writing are communications skills, which are needed in every field and industry. The ability to get up in front of a room full of people and convey information is something most people will have to do at some point in their lives, but which actors do particularly well. Being able to translate complex information into more simple, easily understood concepts is something a good writer can do, but which a lot of other people can't.
I'm sure if you sat and thought about it, you'd find you have a bunch of other skills, which may not be jobs you are doing right now, but are integral parts of who you are as a person and useful skills to possess professionally.
A fellow actor and singing teacher friend of mine once told me show business folks must never fall into the trap of trying to define ourselves in the same way that 9-5workers do. Their lives are very linear and one-dimensional. Artists lives are abstract and constantly changing and evolving based on the conditions around us. We work on short-term projects, in different ways on each job, and must bond instantly with a new cast of co-workers in order to get the job done. In many ways we are far better off in our ability to adapt to negative changes like layoffs or restructurings because we are always adjusting anyway. The 9-5 worker who does the same thing day in and day out, in the same setting with the same co-workers, often sees himself one way and when adversity strikes, can't see himself any other way.
Forget the labels man. It doesn't mean a damn thing. You'll act again when it's important enough to you. Until then you'll write, or do something else that is inside you and needs to be expressed.
Artistically yours,
b
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.
Great post! I find myself admiring those who always knew what it is they wanted to do... be it their art/craft or a typical 9 to 5. Passion is wonderful quality.
Being a 'non artistic' type with a 'traditional' 9-5 its been hard to link on my passion(s) to what I do.. the two hasn't, wont connect.
However, Im glad I'm finding those things now that feed my soul.... while the 'job' keeps me afloat. So I'm slowly training myself to think beyond my present work title... to tap on that creative vein the I let bleed out...
So I'm living out those dreams, even if they are just in my head for the interim, until......
Joyelle
aint seent that in years...
writing suits you (not that acting doest...). do you. blah blah blah ... drink some wine. blah blah blah ... be happy. blah blah blah
This is exactly how i feel. it upsets me that people have just put in the box slap a label on me that reads actor. I want to do soo much more than that. I also understand the feeling of letting people down who have invested time and energy in the support of your acting career, and also the feeling of letting yourself down.
As you know I go back and forth in between acting and medicine. When then gig offers started to slow down i asked myself an important question and i honestly answered.."What is it that I truly love through and through that don't ever want to give up?"...and that was medicine. So now...no I am not acting but I am still an actor. Being an actor to me is more of a feeling than a doing.
I don't expect everyone to understand my choices but I do demand that they respect them. I miss the world of entertainment but for right now,,healthcare is more fulfilling.
If you're able to face yourself in the bathroom mirror each day, or a few times a week, knowing that you are living your best life that day, then you're halfway there. No need to run in another person's race. You're competing with person reflected in the mirror, and that's enough of a challenge.
Your being fine tuned right now so a break is what's required!
When the shit hits the fan, it's going to blow all over the place. A true Artist has to alway's be prepared!...right?
Sooo..Pick yourself up! Dust yourself off! And start again!
(smile on my face) Love You!
It is brave of you to put yourself out there in this way.
This past year I went through a period of questioning my artist path too.
Being broke and unemployed, the questions came easy. I didn't have to go and find them. They found me.
But during this time, I kept this mantra as a close adviser, "Go back. Walk back through it. Understand it. Then pass through it."
It looks like you are already ahead of the game.