Personal Style: Jona Biddle

Jona Biddle is a busy man.
The 29-year-old Atlantic City, New Jersey native and current resident of Harlem manages a dance team called The Professionals. In just six short months, the team (ages seven to sixteen) have won numerous dance competitions, performed at the Apollo Theatre where they won first place and beat out 27 dance crews to win Hot 97 Dance Crew of the Year - and a whopping $25,000 cash prize.
Biddle recently choreographed a show for Disney artist Lauren Legato and performed on BET's Blaze The Stage with Clarisa Rose.
And this week alone, his dance team is taping an appearance on MTV's Made, performing in Connecticut and entertaining guests at a sweet sixteen party. And if all that weren't enough, Biddle also runs the dance department for two public schools in Washington Heights.

I breakdown some of Biddle's favorite looks, talk about his trendy fashion sense and reveal the one thing he says he will never wear.
Urbane.Urbanite.: Give me one word that bests describe your style.
Jona Biddle: Artistic.
UU: Why?
JB: Because I dress based on how I feel. And I express myself through colors or patterns. I'm a risk taker and as a choreographer, I take risks. I apply that same mind frame to my style.
UU: Where do you like to shop?
JB: I'm a trendy dude so I could shop at the corner store and make it look fresh.
UU: Yes, but we know you aren't shopping at a damn corner store. [Laughs]
JB: H&M because it's basic and you can add your own style to it. Zara, Urban
Outfitters, Bloomingdale's, The Gap, and I love American Apparel. I like to mix the expensive with the low end to create a look. I'm also a budgetnista. I get everything on sale and most of the times, the stuff on sale are things people find weird looking.

UU: Okay. What story were telling with this outfit? Those pants look a little MC Hammerish. I swear, only you could pull that off.

JB: [Laughs] I found those harem pants on sale at Urban Outfitters for $20. With that outfit, I was actually heading home (Atlantic City, NJ) so I wanted to give grown and sexy but still make a statement. Since the shoes were the main attraction, I just kept it simple with a white Calvin Klein V-neck. For me, accessories bring everything together, so I added the pin on my jacket to accent the gold sneaks with the gold chain. I was really trying to make it a day and evening look.
UU: Talk to me about this look. This is something I would rock right now. What were you going for here?

JB: I was in ATL and I was going to an upscale mall so I wanted to give a clean summer look. I bought the shades and the accessories from street vendors in SoHo. I wanted to look very clean, almost like a Ralph Lauren ad.
UU: This is another outfit I would rock.

JB: This is my favorite. Again you cant go wrong with a V-neck.
UU: I agree!
JB: I prefer to wear the Calvin Klein V-necks because they last longer and the material is better. This entire outfit cost under $250. I don't like to spend a lot of money.

UU: Your pictures are like something out of a fashion magazine. Do you walk around with a photographer with you?
JB: No. But I always have my camera with me. [Laughs]
UU: What will you be rocking this fall? Any trends you got your eye on?


JB: This fall I really want to focus on my shoe game. I'm a big sneaker freak. I
have over 100 pairs of sneakers but I want to wear more shoes this fall. I'll be rocking nice sweaters, trench jackets with bow ties and blazers. I also want to get some riding boots.

UU: Who is your favorite designer?
JB: Marc Jacobs because he knows how to blend what's trendy with the classic American look.
UU: What's one thing every man should have in his closet?
JB: Every man should have a nice suit, a white shirt, and at least one good pair of denim jeans. H&M is great for tops but your jeans should always be premium denim. A friend of mine always says: "If you shop cheap you shop twice." So, I always make sure I get a good pair of jeans and then my top can be whatever I like.
UU: What's the one thing you cant live without?
JB: I cannot live without a hat. I always need something on my head. It's funny because my mom started this when I was a kid. And now as an adult, it's a must. I am always purchasing a hat.

UU: I'm with you on that.
JB: I know you only asked for one thing but I also cannot live without my accessories. I feel naked without them on.
UU: What's one thing you WON'T wear? Ever. For example, I know I'm never going to wear harem pants. [Laughs] That's not for me.
JB: I love harem pants. I will never rock a one piece denim jumper again. Even though they are back in style, I'm too tall for that shit [Laughs].
You can connect with Jona on Facebook.
And be sure to check out his talented dance crew The Professionals.


Comments