Theatre Review: The Hurricane Katrina Comedy Festival

In 2008, I took a random trip to New Orleans.
I had no real reason to go except for the fact that I had never been. For me, that was reason enough.
I stayed at a beautiful hotel called Le Pavillon located around the corner from Bourbon Street.

I had a great time: Good food. Swamp tour. Karaoke. The works. But the highlight of my trip took place in the dining room of my hotel.
My server, a tall, heavyset, elderly, black woman clad in a curly, black wig and navy blue waitress uniform came over to my table to take my order. She had a slight but noticeable limp and a big, bright smile to match.
"What would you like, baby?" she asked in her distinct New Orleans drawl.
"What do you recommend?" I asked.
"Everything is good. But I say you try the grits, sausage and biscuits."
"Well that's what I'll have."
"Where you from?" she asked.
"New Jersey. I've never been to New Orleans before. I love the energy here."
"Well welcome to my city, baby," she said with genuine southern hospitality. "It's not just a great place to visit. It's a great place to live. We still picking up the pieces though."
The sun that was her bright smile began to set a little. It was still there, just beyond the horizon of grief and sorrow in her eyes.
"Did you lose anything in the storm?" I asked.
"Sure did. Lost my home and everything in it. But I got my health and all my friends and family made it out alive. And that is what's most important."
The sun rose again.
"I'll tell you like I tell everyone else, baby. I'm not mad that Katrina took my house. I'm mad that Katrina forced me to work again. I was retired and enjoying old age when Katrina hit. Now I work here part time for money to help get back on my feet."
A lump lodged in my throat.
"Well, let me go put your order in, baby. You look hungry," she said as she limped away.
It's stories like these that make up the riveting new play The Hurricane Katrina Comedy Festival.
Based on interviews with five New Orleans residents, playwright Rob Florence weaves together a hilarious, touching story of confusion, anger and strength as five Crescent City residents recount the days (and weeks) after the harrowing storm that broke their levees but not their spirits.
Dann Fink's insightful direction compliments a talented cast that doesn't simply spew out real-life dialogue from a script, but give life to verbal expressions of humor and sorrow so easily, I forgot I was watching actors on stage and began to wonder just how he managed to get real-life New Orleanians to perform in the play.
Lizan Mitchell as Antoinette, a grandmother protecting her handicap granddaughter from looters and Gary Cowling as Rodney, a son looking after his elderly mother will both leave you in stitches.
It's refreshing to see a show about the biggest national disaster in US history that isn't overwrought and heavy handed in direction. Florence's script breathes life into the simple stories that we didn't hear about on CNN and the life lessons these folks learned along the way. Like Sheldon points out at the top of the play: "The truth is a lot better than the fiction."
The Hurricane Katrina Comedy Festival poignantly reiterates that tragedy plus time equals humor. And when done correctly, one powerful play.
Remaining Show Times:
The SoHo Playhouse
Wed 18 @9:45
Wed 25 @ 3
Sun 29 @ 4:15
For more information check out the show's website:
The Hurricane Katrina Comedy Festival is a part of the 14th Annual New York International Fringe Festival, the largest performance festival in North America.
The festival runs August 13th - 29th.
Check out the Fringe website for information on over 200 productions.
Comments