UNFAITHFUL: Am I A Chair Hopping Barber Whore?


I’ve been seeing Johnny (in the picture above) exclusively for over five years now. A mutual friend introduced us and the moment he first laid clippers to my head, I knew he was the one.

Prior to meeting Johnny, I had a string of lackluster barbers.

There was the one that loved to converse more than he loved to cut hair.
The one who was unreliable and never showed up to the shop on time.
And then there was the one who just couldn’t cut hair. Period. I’d get out of his chair with my hairline looking like Anthony Hamilton’s beard.

I’ve got what I like to call an ignorant, unforgiving hairline.

It takes a skilled barber to make me look presentable.

When Johnny passed the test, making my hairline look smart and sharp, I was hooked.

It didn’t matter that his shop was situated in the heart of the Bronx, far, far away from my house. I mean, honestly, who goes to the Bronx for anything ever?

I didn’t care that he didn’t speak a lick of English. It’s better that way. I come in. He smiles. We shake hands. I sit down and say key words like:

Very Low.

Or

Taper.

Or

Trim.

And without any further explanation, he goes right to work on my head. There’s no idol chatter about sports, the weather or my weekend plans. I sit. He cuts. The End.

I often daydream about taking Johnny out of the ghetto. You know, I'm a big movie star with a huge entourage and Johnny travels the world with me on my private jet, keeping my ceasar low and my hairline in check.

A boy can dream, right?

I don't know much about Johnny except that twice a year, he vacations in the Dominican Republic for an entire month.

He always apologizes to me before he leaves and tells me the date he’ll be back. I think he’s under the assumption that I don’t get my haircut while he’s away.

But little does he know, I've got a back up barber Sidepiece.


I don’t know his name (isn’t that always the case?) but he sits across from Johnny. And whenever I come in and Johnny’s not there, we exchange short nonverbal cues that translate to:

Come get in my chair and let me cut your hair while Johnny is gone.

The first time I stepped out on Johnny with Sidepiece, I was nervous.

Would he lay hands on me like Johnny?
Would he tell Johnny I dipped out on him while he was on vacation?
How would I look Johnny in the eye when he came back?

But I threw my uncertainites to the wind and let him cut my hair!

He didn't slay my hairline, but he did other things to me that Johnny never does like:

Use the blowdryer to get the excess hair off my face.
Pat my face down with the antiseptic to keep those unsightly hair bumps to a minimum.

Like any first time expereince with a Sidepiece, it was fun, different and refreshing.

I got out of his chair wishing I could dip out on Johnny more often.

The best part about Sidepiece is that he knows when to fall back. When I came back to get a cut from Johnny, he just smiled and winked while I climbed into Johnny's chair. He knows the rules and stays in his lane!

This past Saturday, I walked in the barbershop and saw Johnny’s empty chair and his workstation free of its usual hair and clutter. No surprise there. He told me he'd be on vacation. But my Sidepiece was gone too!

I had an instant panic attack.

My Sidepiece knew Johnny was going on vacation. Why didn't he tell me he would be gone too? He could have given me a nonverbal cue or slipped me a note when Johnny wasn't looking.

I stood in the middle of the barbershop heartbroken and helpless, wondering who was going to cut my hair. As my eyes quickly darted around the room at all the other barbers who were on duty, I locked eyes with the dude who sits next to Johnny.

"He's on vacation, right?" I asked, pointing to Johnny's chair.

He nodded.

"And what about him? He's on vacation too?" I asked, pointing to my Sidepiece's chair.

He nodded.

"I have two more people up next," he said. "I can give you a cut if you like."

I tilted my head to the side, looked him up and down, nodded and took a seat.

This kid was new to the shop. Maybe the youngest one working there. He was popular amongst the younger clientele. There was always a long wait to get into his chair.

Still, I was nervous. Popularity doesn't mean anything to me. Everything ain't for everybody.

When it was my turn, he motioned for me to get into his chair.

When I sat down, I immediately felt uncomfortable.

Where was my Sidepiece when I needed him?!

"Sit up straight please," he said looking at me in the mirror.

What?! Johnny and Sidepiece never asked me to sit up straight. They always managed to cut my hair while I slouch in the chair and doze off.

I sat up straight and told him what I wanted.

Very low.

He nodded and started to cut my hair.

His touch was gentle and quick. His clippers were smooth and sharp. It was almost as if I wasn't getting my hair cut at all.

Johnny and Sidepiece's clippers weren't this soft, I thought to myself.

He murked my hairline. It was straight and even. And he did it effortlessly.

"How do you want your facial hair?" he asked.

"Huh?"

"Your facial hair. How do you want it?"

Wow. Johnny and Sidepiece never asked me that. They just kind of did what they wanted to do with my facial hair.

"Um. Trim it low?" I asked.

He nodded and reached for some gel and covered my facial hair with it. Then, murked my mustache and chin hair with the blade as well.

When he was done, he used the blow dryer to take off the excess hair, patted my face down with the antiseptic (just like Sidepiece) and took the cape off. I stood up and gazed at myself in the mirror.

I looked great! Better than I usually do.

He handed me my receipt and...

*GASP*

He charges less than Johnny!

The sign in the shop says haircuts cost $14. For years, Johnny has been charging me $16. I chose to ignore it. I do have a tank head and thought he charged me more because it took more effort to get the clippers around my head.

I paid for my cut. Slipped The Kid a hefty $10 tip (more than I've EVER tipped Johnny or Sidepiece) and he looked down at the money, then looked up and smiled:

"So, I'll see you next time?"

"Um. Yeah. Sure." I said as I darted out of the shop.

It's official: I want to dump Johnny and Sidepiece for The New Kid.

He's dope! And cheap!

Keeping it real: The Kid straight turned me out!

You know how when you step out on your main piece, you sex to impress? You know, put in more work with the jumpoff than you would with your main piece?

That's what I felt like had just happened. The Kid knew I was vulnerable and put in his best work to lure me in - and it worked.

But who was I fooling? There's no way I can let him cut my hair the next time!

What about Johnny? What about Sidepiece? What would they think? That would be some foul shit right there.

I've seen dudes wait hours to get a haircut from their regular barber, myself included. Am I ready to break the unspoken code of allegiance?

And besides, what if I was to jump ship and then New Kid decided to up and quit or something? Then what? Who would cut my hair then? I'd have to come crawling back to Johnny and Sidepiece on ashy knees. I'd be the laughing stock of the place. I would lose all my cool points.

But then again, why should I be forced to stick it out with Johnny and Sidepiece, when I've fallen for someone who does better work than they do?

Talk about a quandary.

What would you do?

Would you dump your regular barber or hairstylist for The New Kid? Or stick with what you know, even though the grass sure does look greener on the other side?

When it comes to matters of the hair heart, how do you determine the distinction between settling and being loyal?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

Shani said…
I know what you mean. You know I got dreads and everyone claims they are cheaper and better than my hair stylist. Cheaper isn't always better. I been going to to the same person who started my hair 4 years ago. He to was on vacation at one point and I needed my hair done bad and I tried someone new needless to say it was the worst thing I ever done. Funny thing is he knew because he knows my hair and immediately said "Girl who you done let mess your hair." Like you said what if new kid leaves, then what would you do? Johnny might get mad and when you come back to him he gonna mess up that headline lol.Stick to Johnny and pay two extra dollars, you already travel far to get it done.
WatchMeYule said…
You can only step out with New Kid if he changes barbershops. Dumping Johnny or Sidepiece could sow seeds of discord in the shop and ruin the experience for other patrons as well. You are being very selfish for even considering it. The Code exists for a reason my good man.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@shani: But what if you would have gone to this new person and they did a better job than your regular stylist? Then what? Would you have dipped out?
Urbane Urbanite said…
@WatchMeMule: LOL. You've got a point there. My Mama always says: "Dont shit where you eat."
max said…
First of all - this was a great post. I laughed my a$$ off!

Second - you're in quite a pickle my friend. If I were you I'd try to make some kind of stealth before/after hours arrangement with the kid so you can continue your love affair without inciting the ire of Johnny and Sidepiece.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Max. Oooh I like the way you think! All sneaky and salacious!
Anonymous said…
LMAO!!!!!!...HMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!......LMAO!!!!!!

I would go for the new kid. He cuts better and he's cheaper. Jorge and the side-piece, Pedro, will welcome you back with open arms...they do want to get paid you know.

What's gonna happen, if you go with the young dude, they are gonna have issues with each other accusing each other of stealing their client.

The great part of this is that you don't speak spanish so if something pops off all you have to do is just stand there and look clueless....just shrug your shoulders and have a look of "what?" on your face.
Miss Jones said…
Now that I have wiped the tears from my face and finished this ab-busting laugh workout...let me say that I agree with Max. You gotta do what you gotta do...and come on...there are rules to the sidepiece thing! First, Dude #1 took a risk when he left you without a referral...thus forcing you to sing, "If you can't be with the (barber) you love, you gotta love the (barber) you're (left) with!"

Second, dude #2 (aka sidepiece #1) never had any claims to your fidelity as a client...as stated in the sidepiece rules and regulations handbook.

Third, we need to set Papi #3 (aka sidepiece #2) up in his own spot so that you can get what you need without the guilt. Oh, and back when I had a "Brooklyn" and my barber went on vacation (at Club County Lock Up) I took my business to another shop!! Keep my sidepiece away from my main piece...as stated in the aforementioned sidepiece rules and regulations handbook.

Love your work...and the pics of the cut! ;-)
Anonymous said…
HMMMM great posted... Im sitting here reading like yeah !! dump Johnny and sidepiece. But I know you can't so the only thing left to do is to give the new kid your business card. So when you move from the B list to the Alist you wouuld be able take him out of the hood.. Until then you have to look raggadey in my shaneeah voice...(laqueeta)
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Sean: You wrong. LOL
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Miss Jones: Where have you been all of my life?! You just got me right together! I'm simply playing this all wrong!

*Prints your your advice*

Thanks!
"Ma" said…
Ya know...I often wonder, "why does that boy go all the way to the Bronx to get his hair cut!"..? But after reading, I somewhat understand your dilemma?
New jacks do what new jacks do, their very best until they win you over, after the smoke clears , he will expect the same tip for less! There's consistency with Johnny and the back-up and with that there's peace and respect for all involved..
Five years is a long time to lose two over one!
humm...control the situation...and then there's 3!
Anonymous said…
hey son, i looovvvedddd this article! very good read and the play by play was excellent. so here's what i say....that happened to me 1 time (and trust one time only) that i had to go to another stylist in the shop. HOWEVER, she was ONLY able to give me a good wash and a few curls and send me on my way until my stylist came back. so what i'm saying is that my "jumpoff" was NOT as good as my main piece and therefore the decision was easy! Back to my stylist I went...with no looking back. I think you should stay w/Johnny or sidepiece..the new kid shouldn't be able to get u just like that! Resist, get back Satan!!! LOL
teejay said…
OMG! I loved it. I can so relate. There is a certain loyalty to the barber that you must uphold. Either you go in and let whomever cut your hair as seats become available or you only deal with dude unless he's just not available. I had stopped going to my old barber (what's his name? Robert?) because 1) I think he had gotten too cocky with his cuts and wasn't putting in the effort he used to put in it and, 2) I was sick of his get-rich-quick schemes he was trying to lure me into (Tahitian Noni Juice, online travel). Why are barbers into that ish? But I have seen him "in the street" a few times in passing (like in traffic) and always felt weird and disloyal.

I agree with previous posters: if you have to dip out, dip out outside the shop.
This is too funny... But I must say, "New Kid needs to understand that he only cuts if #1 and #2 is out, period!" Know your role! LOL!
Jarrod said…
Ok, I thought about you and this post because I cheated today. Only because my own barber had 6 heads in front of me and my side chi... er ... barber only had two. The trouble is, as with any affair, that one wants to be number 1 - so he goes above and beyond (almost too much). I am now sitting here with guilt and the best haircut I've had in a long time. Ugh
Roc said…
I'm in the same position when my barber isn't there the guy in the chair beside him cuts my hair and it fades in so much better, many times i'll come into the shop hoping he isn't there, but they follow the code strictly, he'll always tell me to call him first to see where he's i always end up being nice and calling him, maybe i'll just come in when i know he's not there and say i'm in a hurry or something, lol

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With Dad

Film Review: Red Hook Summer

In The Closet