I'm Getting Old. Yes, I Know. For My Arthritic Knee Tells Me So.

Well. There it is. My arthritic left knee. In all it's down-to-the-bone glory.
The orthopedic surgeon tried pointing out exactly where the arthritis appears in the X-ray. I just nodded and pretended to see what he was talking about.
I didn't care where the arthritis was. I just wanted to know a) how/why I got it and b) when the heck it was going to go away.
Last year, as I sat in the examination room with the left leg of my jeans rolled up with a look of bewilderment smattered all over my face, Dr. Ahmad, in his heavy Arabic accent, quickly introduced me to my new arthrtic lifestyle.
ME: I'm only 29-years-old, how can I have arthritis?
DR. AHMAD: Yes, I have to say, you are pretty young to have it. Do you play any sports?
ME: No.
DR. AHMAD: Any family members suffer with arthritis?
ME: No. Not really. I mean my Granny complains about it here and there but she's 92-years-old, she's supposed to have arthritis.
DR. AHMAD: I see. Well, my friend, these things happen. And just as easy as it came, one day, it could simply go away. But there is no cure.
ME: Well can't you give me a pill or something?
DR. AHMAD: I could but I don't advise that. Arthritis medication has serious side effects, one of them being liver damage. Your case is too mild for that sort of thing.
ME: But -
DR. AHMAD: If I were you, I would take it easy at the gym and when you feel pain, ice down your knee. And on days when you don't feel pain, put a heating pad on it - and just carry on.
Dr. Ahmad patted me on the back as he moseyed on out the room.
Flash-forward to today and the aches and pains have yet to "simply go away."
Not only has the pain gotten worse, but now it's in both knees. And before you ask: No, I haven't been icing and heating up my knees like he advised me to. I don't have time for that. Next, he'll be telling me I've gotta take epsom salt bubble baths every night too.
Hmph.
It hurts most when I go up and down the steps and when I first stand up after sitting down in a chair for a while.
I will admit, over the summer the pain eased up quite a bit. That's because the aches are triggered by pressure and cold temperatures, which means while everyone else is out enjoying the cool, crisp autumn air, frolicking through the streets kicking dead leaves up and down the sidewalk, I'll be home wearing these:
![]() |
Now that it's fall and I'm not rocking shorts as much, I'll get back to wearing these pain patches I found at Granny's house.
Mom said Granny was using them for numbness and pain on the bottom of her foot. I thought to myself:
Hmmm. My knees feel numb and painful sometimes. I'll try 'em.
After using them for a month or so, I decided to Google the name and found out that the patches are used for after shingles pain.
*shrugs*
Well. They work for arthritis too!
I also tried out these cheap knee brace thingies I bought in Walgreens.
Mom even got on board an bought me some of this.
So here I am. A 30-year-old, vibrant, young thang with two trick knees.
No more dropping it low at the club.
No more leg presses at the gym, although I am convinced that my increased gym activity has actually helped.
Oh, and yes, I can totally tell when it's about to rain. That there is no old wives' tale.
Yup, I'm officially getting old - and there's nothing I can do about it.
Any of you out there suffer from arthritis? If so, how do you manage it?
Is there anyone else out there showing signs of their age?
Slower metabolism?
Blurry eyesight?
Gray hair?
Rickety bones?
Come on, don't leave me out here in the abyss all by myself. Tell me about it!
I'd love to hear your thoughts

Comments
I'm also becoming forgetful as hell and the fine lines on my face are disproving the adage that black don't crack.
If this is what 35 looks like, I'm scared of 40.
Good luck with those knees!
Aww. The day my eyesight starts slipping, I don't know what I'm going to do. I have great vision but I'm certain the endless hours I spent staring at the computer screen are ruining my 20/20.
As for your lines, (lol) just keep moisturizing. I'm sure you'll be fine.
And let's not talk about the gray hair I keep coloring that pops back up two weeks later taunting me.
Once when I had a backache, I tried something my mother ordered from this health catalog called Miracle Rub (by the Miracle of Aloe people). I rubbed that on and was amazed at how well it worked. I tried using it on something else years later but was underwhelmed. I still want to try it on other aches and pains when they come. No rush.
You may have to order that stuff from the Internet. I saw it in Rite-Aid once and have yet to see it in a store again.
LMAO. That's what you get for clowing your bro. Be careful, most of this stuff is hereditary.
Is that hereditary?
I've got a few gray hairs creeping up on me as well. As long as I keep my hair short, no one (read: me) is the wiser.
Oooh. Your mama sounds like a witch doctor! I need to call her up for a few spells and concoctions.
I'm going to look into alcohol and moth balls thing!
Thanks for the tips!
I also remember my grandma used to say it "Arf-right-us" or "Ol' Arthur", lol
My mum says Ah-tah-ri-tiss!
I feel you Delly!
J
But for real I got a cortisone shot once and it helped really. I did it in the winter and it made it hurt less from the cold. You better get ya some long johns. In the winter I wear tights under everything...gots to keep this knee warm.....
Welcome to the club!
Oooh cortisone shots?! I want those!! Do they hurt? Oh hell, I'ont care. I'll take the pain! I want my old knees back!
Now that i've put on a few pounds, I can feel the pain more. Athletes always play with pain, It's just the norm. Something will always hurt, but what hurts more is the fact that I'm 28 and can't be as competitive on the Basketball court anymore. I guess I can't complain. One out of 16, 000 High School Seniors are awarded scholarships to play in college, and I was one of those rare individuals, so maybe it's time for me to hang it up for a while until I shed this weight or find a temporary solution.