Personal Style: The Layered Look

It’s officially fall. And when it comes to fashion, that means one thing: Time to Layer up!
But after going through my closet, I realized that I needed a few jackets to add to my collection. Layering has always been my favorite part of dressing for cooler temperatures. And with the right jacket, I know achieving a great layered look can be effortless.
Trend/style expert, Misha aka TheFabChick, offered to accompany me to the mall to find three lightweight jackets that would not only be good for layering but also work well with my existing wardrobe.
Here’s what we found:

This blue, micro-fiber Ralph Lauren blazer caught our attention. The color, texture and detail on the elbows are perfect for fall.
As I've stated before, the blazer is a great transitional piece to wear before the big chill sets in and it's perfect for layering. We picked out an orange plaid shirt by Elie Tahari and a chunky, cable knit, shawl collar, herringbone gray cardigan by Bloomingdale’s - and I was layered up and good to go.
Sidebar: The blazer comes equipped with a removable quilted vest, which makes for great fall layering but was a bit much with the thick poplin and heavy sweater I had on.
While making our way through Bloomingdale’s we came across this slick, black Hugo Boss leather motorcycle jacket on a mannequin that Misha loved and told me I must have! It retails for $595. That’s going to have to go on my wish list for now.

But I have to agree, it is a dope jacket and makes for a great component to a fall layered look. I can throw on a graphic tee and a hoody with this jacket and be on my way.
After browsing through Bloomies, we headed over to The Gap where we came across some stylish, economical options. I fell in love with this army green utility jacket. The utility jacket (and the military look in general) is all the rage right now. I couldn’t help but to snatch up this joint.
Misha layered the jacket with a chambray shirt and long sleeve navy blue t-shirt. I will be rocking this relaxed look with a pair of jeans or thin ribbed corduroys to run errands and traipse through the city on the weekends.
And we all know no outfit is complete without the right shoe. Although I was shopping for fall jackets, I came across a few shoe options in Aldo and Banana Republic that should have a place to call home in my closet. Misha assured me they were all appropriate for fall. I will be copping a pair of these dessert boots ASAP.
And we all know no outfit is complete without the right shoe. Although I was shopping for fall jackets, I came across a few shoe options in Aldo and Banana Republic that should have a place to call home in my closet. Misha assured me they were all appropriate for fall. I will be copping a pair of these dessert boots ASAP.

Ladies/Fellas, what season do you like to dress up for the most?
What trends and styles will you be embracing this fall?
Anything in particular on your must-have list?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
What trends and styles will you be embracing this fall?
Anything in particular on your must-have list?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Comments
I don't do trends. I can't afford to restock my closet every season with whats supposedly hot that year. I keep it classic - JCrew is my favorite store.
There has been one thing on my must have list for some time now - a diamond pendant. I have to get some other things squared away before I make that splurge.
I like all of those shoes. And I adore the utility jacket!
-Shannon
Oooh, a diamond pendant. That's fancy and classy.
Yeah, I'm not into trends much either. I made that mistake before and wasted a whole lot of money.
Yessir! Vnecks cardigans and hoodies are the best.
I've been known to hide in a hoody myself. LOL I don't like thick hoodies though. I like the thin ones, that way I don't feel so stiff and tight when I've got someting on under or over it.
Though my favorite actual weather is springtime, my fashion fave is fall! I loves me some trenchcoats and boots! And I'm definitely gonna try the layering look. I LOVE that blue blazer, Shydel.
Yes, the blazer is sick!
And I've got my eye on a trench coat that I CANNOT afford. :-(
Aw, I hate when that happens. (read: all the time)