Requiem for a Gchat



When I started blogging, I made a vow to never write about my 9 to 5 job.

"Some things are simply OFF LIMITS!" I declared.   

But I've got to break the rule just this one time...
It started out like any other day.

I got up, got dressed and made my way into the office.

I clocked in, grabbed some fruit from the cafeteria and then headed upstairs to my cubicle. I turned on my computer, checked my work email and then logged into my personal Gmail account - and saw this:


After I got done side-eyeing the computer screen, I assumed that my internet connection was experiencing some sort of problem. Of course it was. Just the day before, I was Gchatting away. I logged out and logged back in and saw this. Again.


I kicked the computer tower. Knocked the screen upside the head, turned everything off and started from scratch. Same result.


Can we say DENIAL?

It was then that I went into the ugly cry.

This isn't me. But you get the picture.

Why Lawd Why?! The powers that be (read: the IT department) done went and disabeled my Gchat!

I don't ask of much from my 9to5 life: a steady paycheck, a micromanage free work environment, good eateries in the vacinity of my workplace - and my beloved Gchat. That's it.

Gchat is my lifeline to the outside world when I'm trapped in the confines of that tiny, beige cubicle; it's how I communicate with friends when I need a good laugh to lift my spirits out of the corporate doldrums that occupy my life space 40 hours a week.  Gchat is my everything!

Not having it in my life while at work is just...I just...I just don't know what to do. This has completely turned my world upside down. And the saddest part of all: It hasn't even increased my productivity. All I do is sit around, pissed off, that I can't talk to folks via Gchat.

This disaster has really taken a toll on some of my most cherished relationships.


This is no way to live!

And if you ask me, the IT department got it wrong.  They disabled Gchat but still allow us to have access to YouTube.

*scratches head*

That makes no sense to me.

A while back, they disabled Pandora and folks went nuts!  There were even a few phone calls made about the deactivation - and would you believe that they reversed it?

Allegedly, people complained that they were more productive with Pandora playing. LMAO.  Bull!  But hey, it worked.

I guess I should be grateful. There are some folks in the office who don't have internet access at all!

Yikes!

What's your take on all this?

Am I overreacting?

Should I count my lucky stars that I can still watch videos of 50 Tyson on YouTube, tweet with my favorite followers on Twitter and jam to my Luther Vandross station on Pandora during work hours?

Many of you communicate with the outside world during work hours.

What would you do if your employer blocked your internet access?  Or told you that there was no texting allowed during work hours?

Would you be able to survive?  Or would your world crumble like mine?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

PS. Read and comment quickly. This post is chock full of sensitive material and is liable to self-destruct at any moment!

Comments

Shani P said…
As one of your co-workers, I know first hand what you are going through. When Pandora went we all went crazy. I would die in here all day without internet access. Like you said there are some who dont have it at all and I dont know how they do it. BRING BACK G-CHAT!!!
DrMPH said…
Try going on and logging in through the secure site. I work for the government and the secure site works for me. While regular gmail does not. IT is worth a try and I feel your pain.
max said…
I feel your pain...gchat gives me life at work. Every day I thank the good lord above that my company has no IT department and it will never be blocked.

I'll pray for you.
Drew-Shane said…
Don't cry! You're still able to use the net and other sites, so you'll be cool. I remember when they took YouTube away, I was upset. Download it on your phone??
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Shani P

I thought about hitting up IT to ask about it. But I don't want to bring any unnecessary attention to my non-work realted activites. :-/
Urbane Urbanite said…
@max

LOL. Thanks. I'm definitely in need of some prayer.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@DrMPH

How does one log into the secure site?!?!

*Googles Now!*
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Drew-Shane

Man, I'd rather they take YouTube away than my precious Gchat.

I have the Gchat app on my iPhone but it's just not the same. Plus, I can't be glued to my phone all day here at work. *Cries Again*
Beez said…
Give us Gchat or give us DEATH!!!
Try iGoogle. see if you can access your gchat from there.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Beez

LMAO. *Protests outside of my cubicle*
Urbane Urbanite said…
@AroundHarlem.com

Great tip. I just tried. Everything comes up BUT the chat option. They really screwed me good this time. *sigh*
suga said…
I. WOULD. DIE!

I nearly had a heart attack when my job blocked FB and Twitter. Yes, I can check them from my phone but I'd rather not do that all day. They opened it up 2 days later, but the scars are still here.

They also blocked any website that had blog, blogspot, or wordpress in the url. Even though I could still access blogs from Google Reader, I wasn't able to comment on them. Total sadness. I couldnt even access my own blog. But they changed it eventually, allowing us up to 60 minutes each day in 10 minute increments. *sigh*

With all that we deal with every day, the least they could do is give is free range on the innanet. Thats just cruel.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@suga

Yes. FB is blocked here to. That, I can do without. But if they blocked Twitter!! Lawd.

And if I couldn't view and/or work on my website here at work. *faints*

60 Minutes?! 10 Minute increments?!

Now, I'm starting to appreciate my situation over here a whole lot more. LOL
Cheekie said…
Oh. My. God. I effing LIVE for gchat during work. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner but it really makes my days go by faster and better. lol

I would leyomi drop straight out this window (I'm on the 14th floor) if they ever took gchat away from me. I won't even give that horrible thought any of my time. Ugh...
kj said…
great article shydale.

that kilvin fellow is something else..
Facebook chat baby. it is my life line in cubicle hell and if anyone ever took it away from me I may kill someone. Or just find a new job that doesn't go around blocking shit. good luck to you!
NicknotNikki said…
I thought I was smarter than the average bear and would keep my Gchat open in a wee lil box minimized on my computer.. There were several factors, but the day that my superviser came and said he was "so disappointed" in me for being online I knew my time was up....
You can't have me in this cubicle, talking to people in debt, with no possibilituy for upward mobility and say I can't be online!!
I quit the next week..

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With Dad

Film Review: Red Hook Summer

In The Closet