Word of Mouth: Irate Single Mothers, Please Think Before You Speak.

Everyone was quiet during the sleepy train ride to work yesterday morning with the exception of one riled up mother.
She was yapping away on her cell phone to her "no good" baby father.
I closed my eyes, turned up my iPod and tried to tune her out. But phrases like "You ain't shit" "you good for nothing" and "I wish I never fucked with you," overpowered the Adele that was now blaring from my earphones.
I didn't get too upset. I knew it was only a matter of time before she was forced to pipe down and hang up the phone when she lost her signal in the tunnel.
I was right. Once the train hit the tunnel, her call dropped and all was right in the world until she started directing her baby daddy grievances toward someone else on the train instead.
I finally had to turn around to see who this woman was and who had become her unlucky sounding board.
My jaw dropped.
There she was, an attractive, black woman with a short, perfectly coifed cut (think Janet Jackson's new hairstyle), possibly mid-twenties telling her son (he couldn't have been any older than five or six-years-old) that his father was the scum of the earth.
"I can't stand your father," she said loud enough for everyone within a 1/2 mile radius to hear. "He's such a coward. He's constantly lying to me. Lie after lie after goddamn lie. When is he gonna man up?"
The little boy sat stone-faced looking head on while he fiddled with an action figure in his hand and the Spiderman book bag that sat in his lap.
It was hard to read his face. I couldn't tell if he was embarrassed because everyone on the train now knew he had a loser for a father and a mother who clearly didn't understand how inappropriate her public tirade was. Or if he had grown so accustomed to his mother's rants, that his stoic facial expression was a coping mechanism he had developed to help tune her out. Either way, her question remained unanswered.
------
Single Mothers:
I know your life is no crystal stair.
I'm the product of a single-parent home. I watched my mother work a full-time job, keep a roof over my head, food on the table and gifts under the Christmas tree every year all on her own.
I remember her crying when someone threatened to call social services on her because they found out I was staying home alone after school until she got in from work.
I remember her schlepping to my parent/teacher nights dead tired; teaching me how to cross the street when it was time for me to start walking myself to school; showing me how to use the microwave to heat up food for myself when she worked on the weekends.
She did it all by herself.
But what she didn't do was degrade my father to my face. And trust me, she had every reason to do so.
My father went to prison when I was two-years-old and wasn't released until I was twelve. My mother never received one red cent of child support. And when he was "free" to be a father to me, he was so busy violating his parole, getting high and coming to grips with his sexuality, that he screwed up practically every opportunity he had to make amends.
She could have had a field day telling me what an awful person he was.
But what good would it have done? Made my father step up to his responsibilities faster? Made me appreciate my mother more? No.
But what it could have done was cause me to wonder if my mother regretted having me. Made me feel like a burden she was stuck with. Left me questioning my own self-worth.
My mother allowed his absence to speak for itself and griped about his deadbeat ways to herself, close friends or through prayer to keep from talking to me about it.
I'm not condoning that you paint some imaginary, fanciful image of your child's father for your children. But I believe it's important for children to get to know their absentee fathers in their own right. Their reputations need not precede them.
My mother said one of the hardest things for her to do was to allow me to get to know my father on my own terms. She knew that he would leave me hurt and disappointed, which he did. But it was something that I needed to experience on my own so that I could formulate my own opinion of him based on my interactions and experiences, not hers.
Looking back, it's the best thing she could have done. It left the door open for him to rectify his wrongs and make a fresh start with me when/if he chose to do so.
Don't get me wrong. I was no fool. I knew there was something about him that was off. I was visiting him in jail after all. But by keeping mum, my mother made my father accountable for his wrongdoings and responsible for explaining his situation and bad choices to me.
I'm not saying my mother is the poster child for single motherhood. Every situation is different. But I feel like it's a selfish display of misplaced frustrations and emotions when you badmouth your child's father in their presence. Remember, once you've vented and moved on to something else, your child is still left to digest and compartmentalize the anger you've shown towards their father.
Yes, there are a lot of men out there who are horrible fathers. But in the words of my favorite playwright August Wilson: You can't visit the sins of the father upon the child.
Who knows? Maybe I just caught the woman on the train on an off day. I don't know her life story or what the father of her child had done (or not done) to upset her. She left that part out. And for all I know, the little boy's father could very well play an active role in his child's life.
But I doubt it.
I've heard those debilitating phrases used as daggers in the war of words on nonexistent dads time and time again. I just wish mothers would keep in mind how easily their children can get caught in the crossfire.
What do you think about this topic?
I'd love to hear from the single mothers out there who have strained relationships with their children's father.
What's your take on this situation? Do you bicker with your children's father or badmouth him in their presence? Got any tips on how mother's can avoid this pitfall?
Were any of my readers raised in single mother households?
Although your father may not have established or maintained a presence in your life, did your mother manage to stay neutral, leaving your impression of him untarnished?
Talk to me.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Comments
My parents have been married for over 35 years and judging by how completely incompatible they are and how much they seem to dislike one another, I can only assumed they stayed together this long for the sake of their children.
Trouble is, they fight constantly and my mother is always, always talking ish about my father to me. I've known about their marital problems my whole life and I feel in some ways that I was robbed of something because of it. As you mentioned, it's hard for me to form an opinion of either of my parents on my own terms because of what I know about how they treat one another.
All of which is to say I feel you on this post and I congratulate your mother for taking the route she did; it says a lot about how much she loves you.
I am a product of a single mother household. Not once has my mother ever down talked my non-existent father to me. He wasn't far away, he wasn't in jail, he was just not part of my life and I grew to accept that.
When he passed in 2003 I could have said forget him but no, I went to his funeral. Prior to his death I saw him once, and that was at child support court. I was 18 at the time and the judge asked him if he knew how old I was and he said I couldn't be no older than 14. How sad is that? I got in touch with my father's side of the family, even though it had to be under the circumstances of his funeral, I have maintained some touch with them.
I also think the reason some single mother's get upset is because they didn't have a father figure in there lives and they want what's best for their children and want them to have the father figure. Also, I guess being that their mother's down talked their father's in front of them, they are doing the same thing but not realizing it.
I'm not condoning that you paint some imaginary, fanciful image of your child's father for your children. But I believe it's important for children to get to know their absentee fathers in their own right. Their reputations need not precede them."
I am a single parent and the words above is exactly how I feel. I never talked bad about my
"baby daddy" or allow my friends to do it around my children. There was even a point in time that I was giving my "baby daddy" money for the train to see his children because I wanted them to have a relationship so bad. My boys are 9 and 10 now. It's been almost a year since they seen him. I don't understand how men can not want to take care of their own children. Their father's broken promises speaks a thousand words. I only talk about him when they bring him up. The good thing is that they have a wonderful relationship with their father's side of the family. They are wonderful people and I don't think I could have came so far without them. This is a good blog. Nicely put.
Wow! What a different POV.
You had both your parents present (and married to one another) and you still experienced the same end result.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Goes to show, it can go both ways!
Good point. Perhaps the woman on the train came from a similar family structure and experienced her own mother trash her father.
She may not know any better.
"There was even a point in time that I was giving my 'baby daddy' money for the train to see his children because I wanted them to have a relationship so bad."
You are a warrior mom! It takes a strong woman to put aside her differences with the man who fathered her children and give him cash to come see his kids. It's not about you or him. It's about your boys! Kudos to you!
I don't believe this is about being a single mother. To me it is more about what kind of person you are. Trust and believe that spouse can work the last nerve of each other. But is it ok to bring those problems to the child? No. The truth is…whether the dad is in the home or not…it hurts. The woman on the train appeared to be ignorant and no better of a parent then the child’s father. That unfortunate little boy is being robbed of his childhood by his mother’s inability to effetely parent. Regardless if you are married or not no child should be spoken to about their parents’ issues. This is especially true for a child of such a young age where their toy should be their top priority.
And if you dont know me, or if you only heard HIS side of the story, He'd make you believe it all.
But I'm not about to block my blessings by letting my problems/grudge with him interfere with my daughter not knowing him. When she's of age, she'll see for herself how he is, or maybe he will be 10 times better at being a grandparent than he was a parent.
Check out this post when you get the chance.
http://varrsitythenovelist.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/fatherless/
Man, if I had a dollar for everytime my father bragged about one of my accomplishments... Trust me, I get it.
I think that's beautiful that you're giving your daughter the chance to get to know her grandfather and your father the chance to get to know his granddaughter.
You're right. People do change. Her memories and experiences with him may turn out to be some of the best of her life. Who are you to stand in the way of that because of the experiences you've had with him? I agree with you.
Still feel bad. Thanks for giving us the child's perspective, even as an adult. Your writing gave me a great feel for the situation.
Thanks for being honest and manning up to your shortcomings. At least you know that trashing him is not the answer and that you recognize the effects of it in your daughter.
A work in progress is better than no progression at all.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
LOL at "girl bye."
You know what? You could have said worse! That was a nice, sugarcoated version of [feel in the blank here]. LOL
Honestly, I believe a woman that is bad mouthing the father of her child/ren hasn't dealt with the hurt and/or pain of that relationship. It takes two to create a child, but it responsible and loving parents to raise them. In many cases some men choose not to step up to the plate. I am not making excuse for *deadbeat fathers*, but what I am saying is that single mothers need to focus on the child and STOP using and punishing their children because a man dogged you out. Let's be real, some of you knew they were "dogs", for lack of a better word, when you met them.
Take some ownership for you lives, forgive the men that hurt you, and commit to being a better mother.