The 6 Best UPSCALE Chain Restaurants

If you're a food snob like me, you frown at the thought of dinning at a chain restaurant. While I don't have anything against spots like The Cheesecake Factory (that carrot cake cheese cake! *drools*), Chili's (Them lightly salted French fries *licks lips*) or Red Lobster (That there cheddar bay biscuit *faints*) when I want to have a real fine dining experience, those are the last places I want to eat.
But not all chain restaurants are the same. There are some upscale chain eateries that will give you the food and ambiance of a five-star restaurant.
Here are my top 6 favorite upscale chain restaurants.

Ida Faber, the director of marketing at Legal Sea Foods and I sat down for a quick chat about what makes one of my favorite places to dine so special - and separates them from the pack
URBANE URBANITE: How long has Legal Seafood been in existence?
IDA FABER: Legal Sea Foods started in 1950 as a fish market in Inman Square, Cambridge. In 1968, the Berkowitz family opened a small restaurant with picnic tables and family-style service next door. From these modest beginnings, Legal Sea Foods grew.
UU: How many locations do you have nationwide?
IF: We are based in Boston and Legal Sea Foods now operates over 30 restaurants along the Eastern Seaboard.
UU: What would you say is Legal Seafood's standard for excellence?
IF: Our tag line is "If it isn’t fresh, it isn’t Legal!” We have always seen ourselves as a fish company first and a restaurant second. Buying directly from fish captains and insisting on the best, we set industry standards on freshness and purity. We have our own state-of-the-art Quality Control Center and in-house laboratory for fish handling and testing.
UU: What separates Legal Seafood from the pack?
IF: Legal Sea Foods is a family-owned, award-winning restaurant company with an online fish market and retail product line. Our fanaticism for freshness differentiates our restaurants.
UU: What's your favorite thing on the menu?
IF: Our New England Clam Chowder has been served at every Presidential Inauguration since 1981. Other ‘most popular’ menu items are our steamed lobsters, fried clams, crab cakes, shrimp cocktail [and] cioppino.

Founded in 2000, Bonefish Grill offers an flavorful, diverse menu of steak, pork, chicken and fish dishes. The dining room is dimly lit, bathed in amber light and three-dimensional art adorns the walls.
EAT THIS: The house specialty: Bang Bang Shrimp.
![]() |
| Photo: S. James |

Ah. I remember the very first time I dined at Ruth's Chris. It was a few days after Christmas in 2006 and my date and I went all the way in! There were four family-sized side dishes, two entrees and several bottles of wine on the table. I waddled out of the restaurant to the car. I ate so much I could barely move. Perhaps the priciest option on the list, Ruth's Chris is a perfect chain restaurant to celebrate a special occasion (anniversary or birthday) or impress a first date. Nowadays, I usually take Mom there for Mother's Day. She loves it.
EAT THIS: While you can't go wrong with anything on the menu (the steak, crab cakes and wedge lettuce salad are to die for) I highly recommend adding the sweet potato souffle as a side dish to your main course.
![]() |
| Photo: S. James |
This sweet, buttery, fluffy souffle topped with brown sugar and caramelized pecans, will melt in your mouth and send you into a fat foodie praise dance.

EAT THIS: Caesar salad with a Chesapeake jumbo crab cake for only $16.99.
| Photo: S. James |

It's always service with a smile at this upscale East meets West eatery, which offers American classics like sandwiches and burgers to sushi (spicy tuna and rainbow rolls). Although jeans are permitted, there's a strict no hat or cell phone policy in the dining room. But there's always a lively crowd at the bar for those who want a more relaxed experience.
EAT THIS: "The Rockefeller," a warm spinach artichoke dip with tortilla and salsa. And for dessert: the warm apple cobbler.
| Photo: S. James |

Paparazzi is a family friendly Italian restaurant with 12 locations around the country. While they are known for their delicious pasta and a wonderful smoked Atlantic salmon dish on a bed of sauteed spinach with a side of thinly sliced potatoes, I flock there to enjoy their ritzy brunch menu.
EAT THIS: The Crepes, rolled with fresh fruit and mascarpone and drizzled with a honey maple syrup.
| Photo: S. James |
This dish is light and sweet and goes down easy with an ice-cold mimosa.
What do you think of my list?
Did any of your favorites make the cut?
What upscale eateries do you frequent?
Talk to me. I'd love to hear your foodie thoughts.
Legal Sea Foods: http://www.legalseafoods.com/
Bonefish Grill: http://www.bonefishgrill.com/
Ruth's Chris: http://www.ruthschris.com/
Phillips Seafood: http://www.phillipsseafood.com/
Houston's: http://www.hillstone.com/
Paparazzi: http://www.paparazzitrattoria.com/


Comments