Film Review: Frankie & Alice -- Starring Halle Berry

I didn't know what to expect going into the SAG nominating committee screening of Halle Berry's new film Frankie & Alice, a small, independent project that's been in the works for twelve years, shot on a shoestring budget in 25 days (only four months after Berry gave birth) co-produced by Berry and her longtime manager Vince Cirrincione. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Frankie & Alice, Berry's first film since starring in 2007's Things We Lost in the Fire, is a psychological drama that chronicles the life of Frankie Murdock, a stripper with a multiple personality disorder.

Based on a true story, the film, which takes place in Los Angeles in the 1970's, touches upon motherhood and interracial relationships as they pertain to Frankie's crippling disorder and her haunting past. Berry gives her gutsiest and most unflinching performance to date. And is a gem to watch as Alice, one of the personas she plays who happens to be a racist, white woman.

I asked Berry how she responded to the material and the characters she played coming from her own mixed background.

Left to Right: director, Geoffrey Sax; Halle Berry and moderator, Scott Feinberg  
She explained that she had an innate, visceral response to the piece because she has racists people in her own family. She also discussed how her white mother was vilified for marrying a having children with a black man, all of which are themes in the film.


The premise of the script is nothing new. The female multiple personality disorder thing has been done (Sybil, The Three Faces of Eve) but how many films about multiple personality disorder feature a black woman in the lead role? How many major motion pictures showcase mental illness in black culture? Talking about feelings, seeing a psychiatrist and embracing mental health are still taboo topics in the black community that no one wants to acknowledge let alone discuss. It's refreshing to see a major Hollywood star like Berry take an interest in the under addressed topic and bring it to life on screen.

Watching Berry shift from one character to another right before your eyes is breathtaking and will leave you both uncomfortable and fascinated.

There are other solid performances in the film by Stellan Skarsgard who plays Berry's psychiatrist and Phylicia Rashad who plays Berry's evasive mother.

Frankie & Alice hits theatres December 17.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How was the response to her performance among the sag nom com? And would you say she has a fairly decent shot for an oscar nomination?
Anonymous said…
"Talking about feelings, seeing a psychiatrist and embracing mental health are still taboo topics in the black community that no one wants to acknowledge let alone discuss."

This is soo not ture.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Anonymous
The response was very, very positive. A few people in the audience told her she's going to win her second Oscar for Best Actress this year. I think it's a little too early to call. She's entering the awards race late with a little film nobody knows about. But the performance is definitely worthy of a nod!
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Anonymous
I'm not sure who you are or where you come from. But where I'm from and where I was raised, mental health was NOT discussed.

It's no secret that many (not all) Black folks think you have to be crazy in order to go to a therapist or psychiatrist. Most turn to prayer, church and the Bible before they even contemplate going to see a mental health expert.

Do a little research and get back to me. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Here's a great place to start:
http://www.articlesbase.com/mental-health-articles/why-dont-africanamericans-go-to-therapy-604938.html

Thanks for reading!
Anonymous said…
@ Urbane Urbanite

I looked at the article that you posted and I did not get the idea that mental illness in not talked about in the African American community. We talk about mental illness in my family, (my American side), and my circle of friends. I'm also in grad school now for my MSW. I just don't think that people know the benefits of seeking help. Who knows? Maybe the counselor that the person in the article went to see who made assumptions about her before even asking questions was not even a trained social worker. A person who was trained and went to school for counseling would never ask questions like that. Once I took one of my boys for counseling and she was more interested in my thoughts and my life then my child’s. So I went some place else. I believe that many African American do turn to church before they get the medical attention that they need. Not only for mental health but also for other problems like cancer or diabetes. They pray and put it in Gods hands. Sometimes they think that it will cost too much money.

Also, people just feel more comfortable talking to people who are the same race or nationality as them sometimes even gender. I see it all the time in the programs that I manage. I can go on for paragraphs about it.

I DO enjoy your blog. I like coming in to work and opening up my email account and seeing a post to read. I just believe that if it is an opinion it should be stated as such. If you would like to further discuss this you can reach me at toni.teague@yahoo.com
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Anonymous

Hey Toni Teague!

Thanks for providing discourse on the topic. My entire blog is comprised of my opinion on things. I didn't think I needed to specify that in this post. But I see what you mean.

Also, I'm gonna hit you up soon. I'd love to turn this conversation into a post and would love to pick your brain a little if that's okay.

And YAY! Thanks sooo much for reading. I truly 'preciate it.
Anonymous said…
@ Urbane Urbanite,

Hit me up any time. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Toni

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With Dad

Film Review: Red Hook Summer

In The Closet