Be My Guest: But Only If You Follow These Rules First!


Yesterday, I offered 11 tips for throwing a successful soiree.  Today, I’m back with 8 more tips. This time for the invitees. Yes guests, you too have a list of do's and don'ts to help make your host's night a success.

*Picks Up Mic*

RSVP!


If your host has taken the time (and sometimes money) to send you an invitation to their event, be a dear and reply back with a yay, nay or maybe.   Food and alcohol are purchased based on a projected head count.  Not replying to the invitation, but attending the party anyway is like showing up uninvited. Not cool.

ASK IF PLUS ONES ARE ALLOWED


Always ask your host if it’s okay for you to bring a plus one along. You should never assume that your invitation is for you – and everyone else that you’d like to bring with you. Some hosts don’t like strangers up in their crib. Ask first to prevent any awkwardness.

And remember, your plus one is a direct reflection of you. Bring some ol’ ignorant asshole to my soiree if you want to – and my beef will be with you not them!

DON'T HARASS YOUR HOST


You want to know what really grinds my gears?  When my guests start to blow up my phone with questions right before and even during the party.

Del, what time does the party start again?
Del, what's your apartment number again?
Del, what's the best way to get to your house?
Del, can I park in the back of your building?
Del, who's there so far?

GRRRRRRRRRRR

*Puts iPhone on airplane mode*

Folks, don't do that.  The host is busy enough as it is. Ask any pertinent questions hours before the event starts.

Don’t Be Tardy For The Party



No one wants to be the first person to arrive to the festivities.  There’s nothing more lame than twiddling your thumbs with the host while waiting for the next person to get there. But if the invitation says the party starts at 7 and you roll up in that piece at 9:30, you’re wrong!  I hate to break this to you, but somebody has got to be the first one there.  If it’s you, don’t just sit there; ask the host if you can help out with something.  Or take to your cell phone and tell any mutual friends who are also invited to get their asses there because the party has started!

BYOB OR SOMETHING THAT SAYS THANK YOU



Never. I repeat NEVER show up to a party empty handed. Ever. It’s tacky.  Remember, food and booze are pricey.  If your host was nice enough to invite you into their home for an evening of celebration, you should show your gratitude by bringing a bottle, some sort of baked good, a candle (something!) as your way of saying, “thanks for having me.”

ENJOY YOURSELF, DAMMIT!



Everyone isn’t a social butterfly. I know.  But holding up the wall with your head buried in your BlackBerry, texting and tweeting the entire time you’re there is rude. 

Too shy to strike up a conversation with someone?  Stand in the kitchen by the food and alcohol. That’s where most people congregate and the most juicy, thought-provoking conversations take place.

PHOTOS

Taking pictures at parties is a big part of the fun.  But you need not post and tag a picture of someone throwing back shots or sprawled out on the floor drunk to Facebook. Lawd!  Please use discretion when sharing the good time you (and everyone else) had at the party with the world.


DON'T DRIVE DRUNK



If you've had too much to drink, ask your host if you can crash on their couch for the night or bum a ride from someone and come back for your car the next day. The last thing you want to do is get behind the wheel inebriated. No good will come to you, your host or the folks you're liable to kill on your way home. Drink Responsibly.

Do your party guests do things that really irk your nerves?  Well, here's the place to let them know how you feel! Air your grievances so that we can put an end to this party pooper madness.

*Drops Mic*

Comments

aliyasking said…
I agree with everything here EXCEPT bringing something. I never expect people to bring anything. I don't even want them to. I don't want your tchotkes. I don't want wine. I just want you to come and have a good time. (Hey, that rhymes!) I definitely think it's cool if someone brings something. But I don't expect it. And no sideeye if they don't bringing anything. I guess you can tell by this comment that I'm *not* bringing anything when I come to your place. ;)
TheFabChick said…
hahaha I agree with Aliya although I feel bad if I don't bring something... and *coughs* you ain't never been to any of my parties at said hour! hmph! lol :-) and you forgot one, dress appropriately... good list... i hate the calls before!!
Urbane Urbanite said…
@aliyasking
LOL! I never side-eye anyone if they don't bring something. Nor do I tell folks to bring anything I promise! But, I think it's a nice gesture to bring the host something that says thanks for having me. Hell, I've been known to bring my favorite bottle to someone's house and ask them to crack it open so we "all" can enjoy it.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@TheFabChick
See! That's cause you got home training. Ain't supposed to show up to no one's house empty handed. LOL

Dress Appropriately: this gets tricky. I usually stand clear of the whole dress code thing. And hope and pray folks got sense enough to dress right. And not show up to my place with their pants on the ground, showing off their cartoon panty drawls. -__- Remember him? Hmph!
Satya said…
My 2 cents: The party is in the living room and dining room. if it's warm the balcony too not my bedroom. Don't roam around my apt and think it's cool. I think that is so rude!

This may seem like a bit much but I only allow pictures for a limited amount of time. Usually about an hour and a half after folks have begun drinking no more pics. I'm plan on pursuing a career in politics and i'll be damned if some facebook pic comes back to haunt me. Most of my friends are in decent positions where they can't be caught up in tomfoolery either so to help everyone out no pics once the liqs get flowing. You know there's always that 1 person that puts every pic on Fb o-O
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Satya

LMAO. You run a tight ship! I aint mad.

I've never experienced anyone roaming around my place. Def a no-no. I give guided tours instead. LOL
Satya said…
It is a little strict, but people are free to get loose at my parties because they know there isn't any evidence of their ratchetness. Ohhh boy do they get loose!
Shani P said…
I agree with everything you said. One of my rules are to not DARE come to my party about 2 hours late, grab plates of food and then leave. That is a big NO NO! If you do that trust and believe you will not be invited ever again.
Naturally Alise said…
I guess my only beef with guets are the "lingerers", those folk that try to drag out sticking around when the festivities are clearly over.... they make you have to be mean, and who wants to have to be mean to their friend/guest?

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With Dad

Film Review: Red Hook Summer

In The Closet