Film Review: Black Swan


When Nina, played to perfection by Natalie Portman, is cast as the swan queen in her ballet company's rendition of Swan Lake, she literally loses herself in the role. 

Helmed by Darren Aronofsky, widely known for his stylized directing - most notably the harrowing drug addiction cult classic Requiem for a Dream and the gritty tearjerker The Wrestler, which single-handedly rejuvenated Mickey Rourke's career - Black Swan is a bold, haunting, psychological thriller juxtaposed against the graceful, highly formalized dance form of ballet.

Portman's performance is jaw dropping.  While watching her dance, you're more likely to think Portman was born a ballerina turned actress than the other way around. And her inevitable plunge into the pitfalls of perfectionism as she attempts to embody the role of a lifetime is captivating.

Swan has appeared on practically every film critic's top ten list, has racked up four Golden Globe nominations including best picture and best actress for Portman - and is a shoe-in for some top prizes come Oscar time.

Love the fine arts? Check out this twisted depiction of the world of dance. It's unlike anything you've ever seen before.





Comments

Naturally Alise said…
I really want to see this, I have heard wonderful things from almost everyone. Plus, I am a huge Natalie Portman fan.
max said…
I hate going to the movies but every time I read one of your reviews I want to see whatever you're talking about.

Plus I saw an extremely HAWT clip from this movie this morning so I'm sold.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Naturally Alise

Hey Alise, boo. This is Natalie unlike you've ever seen her before! You're gonna gag!
Urbane Urbanite said…
@max

Hey Max, boo!

Yesss. There are some serious hot hoshit scenes up in this piece. I was quite aroused.

Wait. Are we talking about the same kind of clips? lol :-/
Drew-Shane said…
I want to check out the movie. I keep hearing good things about it. I might just have to go now
I saw Black Swan last week and whoa, it was everything and more. Nina's quest for perfection turned her into a psychotic muse that begins the end of her demise.

I am almost certain Natalie Portman will win a Golden Globe for her performance.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@The Cubicle Chick
Yeah I'm with you on this one. She's got the Globe in the bag. And rightfully so!
Elle said…
I just came across your blog (thanks to one of my readers who suggested it) and saw you had a review of "Black Swan". Can I just say I LOVED this movie! (And of course I did a movie review as well.) Glad I found someone who enjoys the enjoy the film as much as me. And I will definitely continue to check out your blog on the regular.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Elle
Hey Elle! Welcome!

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With Dad

Film Review: Red Hook Summer

In The Closet