It's The Little Things That Count: A Round-Up of My 10 Personal Triumphs in 2010

Ask anybody who really knows me and they'll tell you that I am my own worst enemy.  My biggest critic. No one is as harder on me than I am on myself.  I am not one to rest on my laurels or bask in the afterglow of victory.  If anything, I need to learn how to cement myself in the present and pat myself on the back from time to time when a job is well done instead of constantly worrying about the future.

So. As the dust settles on 2010 and the dawn of a new year begins to peak over the horizon, I thought I'd take this time to reflect on the small victories that made my year a memorable one.

Instead of beating up on yourself by comprising a lengthy list of unmet goals and things you need to do better in 2011, let's raise a toast to all the noteworthy things you did get accomplished in 2010.

Here are ten of mine (in no particular order).





1) I STARTED THIS BLOG


Creating and managing this blog has been quite the experience.  What started out as just an outlet for me to write occasionally in between paid writing gigs, turned into a second full-time job, which led to meeting so many wonderful writers/bloggers, hiring a dope intern and becoming a finalist for a Black Weblog Award. Woot! Woot!

2) I HIRED A PERSONAL TRAINER


I flirted with the idea of hiring a personal trainer for years.  One day, my gym (NYSC) was having a sale on training sessions and I finally bit the bullet.  And although I whined, bitched and moaned the entire five months I trained with Oscar, the results were noticeable and my endurance was pushed to the max. I literally didn't know my own strength.

3) I RE-EMBRACED CHRISTMAS


I love the Christmas holiday. I also dated someone who sucked the Christmas spirit right out of me.  And instead of ridding myself of the disdain when I got rid of the relationship, I carried it along with me, allowing it to fester and turn into something ugly.  A big no no.  But not this year. I made a conscious effort to decorate my apartment a little bit more, step up the glitz on my holiday party just a smidgen and not complain about the extra crowds (read: tourists) and shoppers out during the holiday season. I even went out on Black Friday! Now if that aint me embracing the commercialism of the season, I don't know what is!

4) I APPLIED FOR AN EDITORIAL POSITION
I'm very careful not to apply for jobs that sound above my head.  But many times, I think I discount my experience and qualifications and allow upper level positions to pass me by.  Last summer, someone told me about a DOPE position they thought I was perfect for (Manager of Editorial Content) for a prestigious, artistic organization.  I was wary about applying (I've only got two years of professional writing experience under my belt) but I went for it anyway. Three days later, I landed an interview for the position. The interview went well but I didn't get the job. The moral of this story? That said artistic organization thought I was worthy of a sit down interview for such a big position in the first place.  I've since widened my search and stopped counting myself out.

5) I GOT MY FIRST CLIP IN VIBE MAGAZINE
Last year, I made a declaration: "I will get a clip in VIBE magazine next year!"  And boy did I ever!  My little 500-word sidebar was a part of one of the most popular, controversial features published in a national magazine this year!

6) I SPENT THE DAY WITH MY FATHER


If you follow this blog, you know why this is a big deal.  Only recently have my father and I even began to talk on a regular basis.  In November, he celebrated his 50th birthday and almost 3 years of sobriety - and I was there in his apartment in Albany to celebrate with him.  I was a bit uncertain about going.  But for the first time ever, he asked me to be there for him, and, well, I said Yes - and had a very good time.

7) I DIVORCED A FRIEND
I'm going to try to keep this as cryptic as possible.  I was friends with someone. It got awkward.  Instead of doing what I usually do: ignore my gut instincts, prolong the inevitable or make up excuses for the person, I broke up with them. Friendships are like relationships. No matter how nice the person is or how much they mean well, when the shit gets toxic, it's time to bail.  I bailed. And I am a much better person because I did so.  Knowing when to walk away should be celebrated just as much as knowing when to stay and work things out.  Both take a tremendous amount of courage.

8) I FIGURED OUT A LIFE CHANGING EQUATION: 
SITUATION (minus) SHYDEL = IT'S NOT ABOUT ME


You know what I learned this year?  Everything aint about me! There have been many times when "I" call myself "being there" for someone in their time of need and they don't respond the way "I" think they should or the way "I" would respond if "I" were them. And "I" get all bent out of shape.  I'm done with that.  Sometimes it aint about Shydel. I've learned how easy a problem is to figure out once I take myself out of the equation.  Try it.  It's life changing.

9) I STARTED WORKING ON MY NOVEL IDEA


Working on my novel idea has generated a mixture of emotions: excitement, fear, anxiety, confidence, restlessness, wonder, hope... Some days I know what I'm doing. Others, I feel like a hack and laugh at the thought of my idea becoming a book! So. Sounds like I'm pretty much on the right path, eh?

10) I HIT A BENCHMARK IN MY SAVINGS ACCOUNT


I don't enjoy talking about my personal finances with people. Unless you're Suze Orman and I'm calling in for financial help, you don't need to know my business.  But without giving too much away, on January 1, 2010, I set a pretty lofty goal for my personal savings account and when I tell you I JUST hit the number to the penny as of TODAY... *Faints*  Next year's goal: to not spend all of it on frivolous bullshit. LOL

Well there you have it.  My personal triumphs for 2010.  No, I didn't climb Mount Everest or get my six pack back. But, hell, this year wasn't a complete waste after all.

What about you?

What did you do/complete/conquer/acquire/realize in 2010 that you consider noteworthy, personal accomplishment.

Talk to me.

I'd love to hear all about it.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comments

Drew-Shane said…
Seems like 2010 was a good year for you. Not to mention we became friends. That's a big accomplishment.

I'm glad you had a great 2010. Looks like 2010 was good to you and you were good to it. I see I have to set some goals.

Can't wait to see what 2011 brings...
max said…
Congrats Shydel on all you've accomplished this year. You should be proud of yourself...it's a lot! Can't wait to see what you get done next year.
Ashley said…
As a first time rader I am very impressed with the blob and happy to see you celebrating all the great things that happened for you and too you this year! Hats Off! This year I too learned that its "not about me" ...it was a hard lesson to learn but the more I embrase this concept the happier I become! Looking forward to enjoying your writings in 2011!
Wow, you've accomplished a lot!

In 2010 the main thing I did was to step out on faith and do something major to make myself happier. I was living away from home, on my own, and working a job I loved dearly. Still, I just wasn't happy. I didn't really know people and hated feeling disconnected from my support systems. Finally, I tired of feeling sad and sorrow for myself. I decided not to renew my lease which forced my hand and established a timeline in which I had to move. I didn't get a job until the last possible moment and I'm staying w/ my mom(sigh) but I'm a thousand times happier. I'm in the city I love, around family and friends, making new friends, and enjoying a more vibrant social life. Although I didn't prepare for the move as well as I would have liked, I don't regret anything. :-)
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Drew-Shane

I'm sure you've got goals set. Don't be coy.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@max
I was thisclose to writing a post about everything I DIDN'T do. Then I gave myself a quick slap and got it together. I like this post much better. We need to celebrate ourselves more often.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Ashley
Hey Ashley! Welcome aboard. Pull up a chair and stay a while!

The It's not about me lesson is a hard one to learn. I think people take things too personal. I used to make EVERYTHING about me. Not anymore. I'm off that.

Thanks for reading and commenting. Looking forward to interacting with you more in 2011.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@The Media Elitist
Hey! That's awesome.

Sometimes you've just got to take a leap and hope for the best. Kudos to you. Putting your happiness first is is something definitely worth celebrating.
Nice!
theINTELLECT said…
First time writing on the blog but congrats on all your accomplishments this year.

I would have to say my biggest and greatest accomplishments I achieved this year was graduating with high honors from college!!
Awwwwww My Shydel!
I'm glad you did so much. Like you I'm hard on myself.
My biggest accomplishment this year was getting all but one class finished up. Next semester I have photojournalism and then I'm a college graduate baby! Oh and I met you....

Love ya sweets! And we gone blog our way to the top...
Urbane Urbanite said…
@theINTELLECT
Nice! That's ginormous! Congrats to you!
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Notorious Spinks

Yay! More college kudos! I love it. Congrats. Didn't know you were reading like a maniac AND going to school. LOL. I would have included that in the interview I did with you.

It's been a pleasure meeting you this year!
teejay_nj said…
Congratulations on all that you've accomplished. And it feels so good to know that, contrary to what I hear often, I am NOT your biggest critic. I'm really one of your biggest supporters. :)
Urbane Urbanite said…
@teejay_nj

Let me bookmark this comment right now!

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With Dad

Film Review: Red Hook Summer

In The Closet