Writing While Black: Will Writing for Black Publications Hinder Me From Getting Mainstream Work?


I've been working as a freelance writer for two years.  The more I do it, the more I love it.  Not the freelance part, but the writing part.

To those outside of the business, freelancing sounds glamorous: working in your pajamas from the comfort of your own home; being your own boss; making your own schedule.  Sure, it's great.  But don't forget to add to that: stalking chasing down folks to pay you your money; not having a steady guaranteed pay check or health insurance; having to constantly hustle, pitch and network to get that next assignment.  It takes a lot of work and everybody ain't cut out for it.

I'm fortunate enough to have a steady 9to5, which means that I do the majority of my freelance work on the side. 

I'm ready to change that.

I'd like to have a steady 9to5 writing job.  It doesn't necessarily have to be with a magazine, but could also be with XYZ organization as long as it's a writing position of some sort (No technical writing, though - been there done that.)

Lately, I’ve been submitting my resume and cover letter for writing jobs and I'm not getting any call backs. I'm starting to wonder if there is something off-putting about my clips and work experience. Wouldn't any employer see my clips, be impressed and want to meet with me? 

Apparently not.

I have a writer buddy I met at a networking event a few years ago.  We'll call him Mr. Writerman.  Aside from being a veteran writer with almost 30 years in the business (Mr. Writerman has written for some big time newspapers, virtually every black magazine you could possibly think of and quite a few high profile white magazines as well), he's also one of the most blunt people I know.  When I need a hardcore dose of reality, he's the guy that I call.  His criticism, while frank and straight-from-the-shoulder, is also always constructive.

A few weeks ago, as I sat in front of the computer, eating my feelings and wallowing in a pool of self-pity, Mr. Writerman made a rare appearance on G-chat. I decided that I would ask him to weigh in on what I could be doing wrong - and that he did!


After an exchange of pleasantries, I immediately started whining talking to him about what I'm going through.

Mr.Writerman: How have you been buddy?

Me: Ugh. Confused. Frustrated. Overwhelmed. You name it.

Mr.Writerman: What's up?

Me: I'm ready to write full-time.  I've been searching the net for jobs and submitting my resume and links to my clips for jobs I'm perfectly qualified for but I haven't been hearing back.  I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong.

Mr.Writerman: Let's take a look at your clips site

Me:  http://www.shydeljamesclips.com/. Bites nails.

Mr. Writerman: Here's what could be your problem. Something I like to call WWB: Writing While Black

Me: !!!

Mr.Writerman: This site clearly belongs to someone who is black, but writes for a majority of black publications.

Me: And what's wrong with that?!

Mr. Writerman: You’re not a mainstream writer. But I'll bet you're applying for mainstream gigs. Oh. And it looks like you straight up work for UPSCALE. Which could be limiting.

Me: Yikes

Mr. Writerman: You have way too many UPSCALE clips there. Spread it out with the other mags.  Too many clips from one mag.  I have other issues with this site.

Me: Okay. I'm listening.

Mr. Writerman: It feels too personal. Not professional enough. It's hot, don't get me wrong. But it may be too hot. If that makes sense.  Lots of flash that may be getting the meat over looked.  It took me forever just to download the thing.  But that's all cosmetic stuff. Back to WWB.

Me: Damn. I wanted it professional but not bland.  Clearly it's a thin line.

Mr. Writerman: You want bland!  You want the writing to come through. Not you.  Let them meet you at the interview.

Me: Ah.  Gotcha

Mr. Writerman: This site says to me, oh you fancy huh?

Me: LOL

Mr. Writerman: It's great for getting more (black mag) freelance work, but not necessarily a job.

Me: hmmm.

Mr. Writerman: And the About Me section?  Uh-Uh. 

Me: But I'm black. And I've only written for black publications. How do I "hide" that?

Mr. Writerman: Wait. First the About Me section. It’s too big. It’s too personal.

Me: Too big. Too personal. I can see that.


Mr. Writerman: A potential employer does NOT need to know that you are a momma's boy! Inappropriate! You might as well put: makes a mean sangria up there.

Me: LMAO.

Mr. Writerman: And likes to take a liquid lunch occasionally.

Me: I hear you

Mr. Writerman: Back to WWB.

Me: Okay.

Mr. Writerman: You don't hide who you are. But you find a way to make it...less. For example: All those Upscale covers? Turn off.  Just post the story. Not the cover. Unless you wrote the cover story.

Me: hmmm. Okay. And I'm guessing they'll figure out what publication it is when/if they read the story?

Mr. Writerman: The thing is, editors don't really read your clips.  They just want to see that you've written.  At some point in the process they may read stuff.  But when you're trying to hook them in the beginning, they just want to see that you're legit.

Me: Got it.  So lose the covers AND shuffle the Upscale stories around? Or delete some of them all together? I mean, do I really need 6 different art story clips?

Mr. Writerman: You need all six art stories.  Just kill the covers.

Me: Okay

Mr. Writerman: I like the way things are arranged by category.

Me: Yay! You actually like something! Whew!

Mr. Writerman: Also? That clip with Faith Evans and Aliya King? You should take that down.

Me: Why? I've got a clip on essence.com. That's pretty dope!

Mr. Writerman: It is dope. But it doesn't look right.

Me: So it's an aesthetic thing? Not a content issue?

Mr. Writerman: Yes, just an aesthetic thing.  Maybe you cut the picture.  I just see these two high yellow chicks in my face looking crazy. It's distracting.

Me: LOL. WWLS: Writing While Light Skinned.

Mr. Writerman: A whole nother story.  It's not PC to say this. But the truth is, it's hella hard to go from writing for black publications to mainstream (meaning "white") publications.  It just is. There, I said it.

Me: Sigh. Why? Do they think that we can't write as well as them?  Or about the same topics?

Mr. Writerman: Both.

Me: Are you for real?

Mr. Writerman: Yes.  Very

Me: Do you have a personal example?

Mr. Writerman: How much time you got?

Me: Damn. I'm feeling a lil defeated here.

Mr. Writerman: But I have good stories on both sides.  I once worked at the blackest magazine on the planet. (Seriously).  And I was recruited to work at the whitest magazine on the planet. (Seriously).

Me: How did you pull that off?

Mr. Writerman: It was through connects I had at the white magazine. They knew my work and they knew I should not be pigeonholed.

Me: Ah.

Mr. Writerman: I didn't end up taking the job. But I freelanced for that company for many years. This past year, I came THISCLOSE to having a feature story published by a mainstream magazine. Very big mag.  I had NO contacts there.  It was a cold pitch.  And the editor loved it!!!  Oh, wait. I forgot. I did have an inside track.

Me: See!  So maybe I need to spruce up my site and find some inside tracks.

Mr. Writerman: Yes, spruce up your site.  Make it a little more neutral.  Bring down the images, enlarge the headlines and words and take down your photo and your hobbies.

Me: Sigh.  I love my banner.  My photo is part of the banner. That means I'd have to get a brand new one all together.


Mr. Writerman: Brand new banner. Do it.  I have spoken.  But as far as WWB, you are going to have to get on your hustle and spread your wings IF that's something you want to do.  Why do you want to write for mainstream mags anyway?

Me: I don't want to write for mainstream mags, per se. But I don't like the idea that it's harder for me to get a pitch green-lit at a white magazine because I'm black and have only written for black mags. Also, the jobs that I've been applying for haven't been positions at magazines. More so artistic organizations and other companies that need writers/editors on staff to write in a magazine format.  Like in house newsletters or developing content and copy for their websites. Stuff like that.

Mr. Writerman: 1) As for it being harder for you to get a pitch green-lit. get over it.  It is what it is.  2) That website is not appropriate for arts orgs and other companies that need writers/editors. It's way too extra. They want to see a link to your clips. That's IT. Not a whole swanky site.  I wouldn't change what you have. I would just have someone create something very very plain and basic as an addition.

Me: Wanna hear something funny?  I did get called in for an interview for an editorial position with a very high profile arts org. Guess what? It was a black one.

Mr. Writerman: I bet it was conservative.  Not flashy and glossy and fashiony.

Me: Very conservative.

Mr. Writerman: Your site = heeeeey, let's get it poppin up in huuuuuuur.

Me: Nooooo. LOL. Don't say that!  But like I said, the organization was very conservative.  But alas, I didn't get the job.  Maybe the more conservative writer did.

Mr. Writerman: Here's my theory.  You need to be all things to all people.  I always have four different resumes.  Not crazy to have two or three websites for your writing work.

Me: Good point.

Mr. Writerman: You can't be all things to everybody.

Me: But you just said I need to be all things to all people. Which one is it?

Mr. Writerman: You have to find a way to create separate identities.  It's the only way you'll make it in this business young grasshopper.  You can't be all things to all people. So you have to find a way to pretend you are. Does that make sense?

Me: Yes.  So since shydeljamesclips.com is my let's party and bullshit writer site, got any idea what my bland, conservative writer site domain name should be?  I dare not pick anything too flashy.

Mr. Writerman: www.mydryassclips.com

Me: LMAO

Mr. Writerman: What about www.shydeljamesbylines.com?

Me: A little long. But I like!  Straight forward and to the point.  Well this has been very helpful. I've got some work to do. Any other tips for WWB before we go?

Mr. Writerman: Yes.  Stop being so black.
----------------

I took Mr. Writerman's advice and created another page to house my clips. A simple, neutral, bland straight to the point website.

Here it is:  http://www.shydeljamesbylines.com/.

I'll start including this link in my cover letter and on my resume to see if it generates more interest than the other one.

In the meantime, tell me, what do you think about what Mr. Waterman had to say?  Do you agree with his theory that once you write black, it's hard to go back?

There are quite a few black writers and bloggers that frequent this blog.  If you're reading this, tell me:  Do you find it difficult to get writing assignments for non-black or mainstream publications?  Do you even have a desire to write for non-black publications?

Personally, I was a little taken aback by his question: "Why do you want to write for mainstream mags anyway?"  Why wouldn't/shouldn't I?  If I've studied Psychology Today thoroughly for a year and have a great pitch in mind for the front of book, why shouldn't I pitch them?

All in all, his advice was dead on.  My original clips site is very let's get it poppin' and not an appropriate showcase of my work to every potential employer.  I know better! Lesson learned.

Let's talk.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Comments

Rainy Day Diva said…
Great advice. Its good to have someone break down their suggestions down into practical steps. Thanks for posting this. I'm taking notes.
Drew-Shane said…
That's some good advice! I'm glad you're still pushing. I always say the same thing to myself about my clips but thats why I'm trying to "diversify" and not just saturate one publication or site. I'm not sure if I want a writing job 9 to 5 though, I rather have another job and just continue freelancing. Maybe upon graduation things will change.

Thanks to the both of you for the reality and wake up call! Great post-
max said…
A few months ago I pondered a similar issue with respect to my own writing.

I'm not a professional, nor do I really plan to be one, but it did recently occur to me that I would get a lot more attention and readers if my blog and my writing wasn't so Black.
I thought about how broadening my scope and my audience could lead to maybe being quoted as an expert in mainstream publications or transitioning to a print column or something like that. I think it's hard to have mass appeal if you're too niche and sometimes Blackness seems to be the most limiting niche of all.

For me though, since I don't make a living with my writing I opted to continue to do what I've been doing. I suck as a writer if I'm not completely myself, and so writing for a "broad" audience is too difficult for me. And also it's way more important to me that a small amount of my own people love and feel what I do than to have hordes of white people loving it. But then I have the luxury of making a decision like that because I don't have to eat or buy shoes off my writing.

For you - you're a professional and you need to follow the flow of the industry. WWB is real so you have to make yourself as versatile as possible if you want to be able to take advantage of all the opportunities your profession has to offer.
Julio Neira said…
Hmmmmm .. I like the initial website better - I think it looks a bit more catchy and more interesting to browse around - I see the dude's point of view and he is def. more on the writing scene. So I think he knows more - LOL! Let me know how it goes with the new website!
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Rainy Day Diva
Thanks for reading and commenting! Yes, he gives some great tips.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Drew-Shane
I'm ready for a 9to5 writing job. I think being in that state of mind 40+ hours a day will help me be a better writer and give me more motivation to get my novel written. This constant switching from the right to left side of my brain 20 times a day is wearing me all the way out!
Urbane Urbanite said…
@max

Hey Max boo!

I started this blog because I wanted to know if I could engage folks with a casual writing style (i.e. be myself) because all of my professional clips are written objectively. So we have opposite issues.

I'm excited to see if I get a different reaction with the new site, though. I love experimenting with things like this.
Urbane Urbanite said…
@Jota

Yeah, the new site is blah. But it serves its purpose. Just clips. Nothing else. I've got a gut feeling it's going to be well-received.

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With Dad

Film Review: Red Hook Summer

In The Closet