Film Review: Desert Flower

Fresh popcorn and wine were on deck last week at the film screening of Desert Flower, presented by The African Heritage Network and The New York Times Company.
Flower chronicles the tumultuous childhood of Waris Dirie, who also penned the international best-selling novel the film is based on. The stunning Liya Kebede is a force as Dirie, a woman who survives female genital mutilation at age three, being sold into marriage as a teenager and transforms herself from a Somalian nomad into an internationally recognized top supermodel and human rights activist.
Kebede delivers a powerful performance laced with humor and humanity. Watch out for a special appearance by the suave Anthony Mackie as Dirie's romantic missed connection and countless laugh-out-loud moments from Golden Globe Award winning actress Sally Hawkins, as Dirie's new found friend.
Die hard fashionistas and anyone with a heart will enjoy this modern day Cinderella. But more than just a real life fairy tale, Flower is a poignant tear-jerking example of how one can use the scars of their past to help heal generations to come.
Desert Flower is set to hit the US for a limited theatrical run on March 11. Click here for more details.
Comments
How she ran for days across the desert with her dad on her heels is gripping.
With her heartfelt efforts to address female circumcision globally, I can say she's an inspiration. I hope the film does her justice. And, I hope a whole new audience learns of the importance of the issues involved!
I can't wait to see it!