Kickin' it in Cali: My San Fran-Napa Valley Wine Country Getaway
| Image: S. James |
After a six-hour flight from New York City, the fresh air is a welcome reprieve. The one-hour drive, which features glimpses of The San Francisco Bay, grassy knolls and rugged mountainous terrain, goes by in a flash. And before I know it, I pull up to a palatial 158-room resort that looks like an estate plucked straight from a Tuscan painting. I can't wait to check in!
![]() |
| Image: Courtesy of The Meritage Resort & Spa |
My superior king room is fit for, well, a king. It's spacious, comes equipped with a marble bathroom and a large terrace, which overlooks the pool and rolling hills of grapevines.
![]() |
| Image: Courtesy of The Meritage Resort & Spa |
| Image: S. James |
| Image: S. James |
Acquainted with my surroundings, I decide to flick on the flat screen and slip into the fluffy California king bed for a quick nap. But alas, jet lag and an unexpected hail storm rock me to sleep and I'm in for the night.
I begin my first full day at the resort at Spa Terra, an opulent oasis located in the 22,000 square foot underground Estate Wine Cave. (Spa Terra is the only underground spa in the US.)
![]() |
| Image: S. James |
| Men's Locker Room: S. James |
My terra massage is everything and more. My masseuse, John, a New York native, works the cricks out of my neck, relieves the tension from my muscles and makes sure my joints are in working order during the stress relieving 50-minute rubdown. I cap off my spa day where I started: In the sitting room, except this time I trade the lemon water for a glass of champagne. Ah!
Stress free and hungry, I head downtown to Angele, a modern French bistro.
![]() |
| Image: S. James |
![]() |
| Photo: S. James |
Still reeling from my cavernous massage experience, I head back to the Estate Wine Cave to hit up Trinitas, a wine tasting room located across from Spa Terra. I indulge in a four wine and chocolate pairing flight that makes my taste buds swoon.
![]() |
| Image: S. James |
![]() |
| Image: S. James |
Sobered up and eager to venture out, I gas up the rental and head to San Francisco for a quick dinner at the Thai food chain eatery, Osha, and a late night stroll through SoMa and The Castro District before heading back to Napa.
Brunch is always a staple wherever I go. I hear good things about Dottie's and Mama's in San Francisco but when I get there, I'm met with long lines and an hour plus wait time. Huffy, hungry and frustrated, I head back to my car and spark up conversation with a local who gives me the lowdown on a coffee house just over The Golden Gate Bridge in Sausalito. I take heed and head over, but not before taking in the jaw-dropping views from The Golden Gate Bridge.
| Image: S. James |
| Image: S. James |
| Image: S. James |
| Image: S. James |
![]() |
| Image: S. James |
![]() |
| Image: S. James |
I wobble back to the car and venture 70 miles north to Calistoga to visit Chateau Montelena, a world class winery that's been in business since 1882 and put the Napa Valley wine country on the map when its 1973 chardonnay won the 1976 Paris tasting.
The well-kept grounds of the chateau are quiet and serene with stroll-worthy brick red bridges that provide trails over Jade Lake.
![]() |
| Photo: S. James |
![]() |
| Image: S. James |
On what's a beautiful, sunny afternoon, I decide to take the long way back to the resort. I drive down Highway 29, the main drag back to town, where the majority of the wineries and vineyards call home.
Back at the resort, I unwind and kick it by the pool for a bit before dinner.
Dinner is at Siena, the resort's premier signature restaurant where the dishes are inspired by Tuscan ingredients and prepared with organically grown and raised meats and vegetables.
![]() |
| Image: Courtesy of Siena Restaurant |
| Image: S. James |
I order a glass of wine to go and on the way back to my room, I crane my neck to peep the sunset from the porthole style windows that line the walls in the hallway.
I swirl the wine in my glass and give it a quick sniff as I stroll down the corridor. Wonderful!
I smile and sip slow, savoring the taste of northern California.
---------
Check out some of the wonderful places mentioned in this post:
Angele
Patz & Hall
The Lighthouse
The Meritage Resort & Spa












Comments
You've inspired me to take an unconventional trip in the near future. Thanks.
Just did a random Google search on resorts and spas in Napa and did a little research on what I found. The Meritage Resort seemed like the best fit for me. Great spot! Definitely look into it!