Encore: I'm Hoping To Pass The Theatre Praxis The Second Time Around


In 2009, I decided to take the Praxis exam to become certified to teach theatre.

Ever the researcher, I got in touch with some friends who are theatre teachers to pick their brains. They told me what books to buy, what series of flashcards to study, how the questions would be setup on the test. The works!

Ever the procrastinator, I put off studying until the very last minute. I finally whipped out my notes and tried to cram 300 flashcards full of theatrical information into my brain a week before the exam. Needless to say, I failed with flying colors. I'm well-versed in performance, production and professional knowledge, but when it comes to history, theory and literature - you know, like who invented puppetry and middle Greek comedy - yeah, I'm clueless. And it was in those specific categories which I scored the lowest.


My scores were so low, I don't even remember what they were. I saw the number and instantly erased it from my memory. I just wanted to forget the entire thing ever happened. And I did just that: I saw the score, turned off my computer and moved on.

But today, two years later, I'm ready to redeem myself. I'm ready to study properly, retake and pass the test and try my hand at teaching.

For some reason, I can't seem to shake this urge, this desire, to give teaching a shot.

I don't presume it to be an easy job to do. I know a ton of teachers and all of them work hard, bust their asses even, to write out lesson plans and push both eager and reluctant students to their highest potential.

And who knows? Maybe it won't be a good fit. Maybe I'll suck at it. Or the kids will hate me. Hell, given this economy, who's to say I'll even find a job? But I must give it a shot!

I remember the first educator to ever leave an impact on me. It was my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Lynn Godfrey. She was the first person to recognize and cultivate my ability to write. She zeroed in on what was/is special about me and encouraged me to embrace and run with it. I remember, to this day, the speeches she urged me to write. The essay contests that I won because she knew I would be able to convey my passion about the topic through my writing. The letter she helped me craft to then-president George H. W. Bush. And how she would brag about the response I received back from The Oval Office to anyone who would listen.

Mrs. Godfrey made me feel like I had a gift. And that, in turn, made me feel talented, special and confident. I felt like I stood out from the other students in the class. There's something very powerful about children knowing what makes them special at such an early age.

I don't know. Maybe I can be some youngster's Mrs. Godfrey?

Things have changed since my days in the East Orange, New Jersey school system. I don't recall there being a pool of artistic resources for me to choose from. But now, there's a 309,000 square foot performing arts facility that accommodates 1300 students from grades K-12.

Look at GOD!

These days, there seems to be a big push for the arts in public (non-charter) schools. Just a couple of weeks ago, an urgent tweet was issued by the Newark school system looking for a last minute fifth grade drama teacher for one of their schools.

What I think folks have finally realized is that the arts, theatre and performing are no longer just for the artsy fartsy kids who watch Glee and live for overnight acting camps during the summer. The benefits of a theatre education are endless.

What if little Omar wants to be a reporter or news broadcaster when he grows up? Performing on stage can help him learn how to articulate and boost his confidence when speaking in front of large groups of people. Or say little Keisha wants to pursue a career in business management. Learning what it's like to work behind the scenes as a stage manager will definitely teach her how to be organized and assertive. The rewards are universal.

So there you have it. I would like to show some kiddies, secondary education kiddies preferably, the advantages of an artistic, theatrical education. But a brother has got to pass this Praxis test first.

*Shakes Fist*

I'll be studying from now until January 2012, when the next Praxis in theatre will be given in my area. Pass or fail, I'll share the result with you all.

Wish me luck!

*Grabs Flashcards*

*Slides on reading glasses that I only wear when I want to look studiously sexy*

_________



  • Don't forget to join The Urbane Urbanite Facebook Fan Page



  • Follow @shy2del on Twitter 



  • And check out the YouTube videos to stay up-to-date on all the content.
  • Comments

    teejay_nj said…
    Little Omar and Little Keisha could learn a lot from you. Good luck!
    duncanrogers said…
    I was considering doing the same. Perhaps we should form a study group?
    Anonymous said…
    Soooo i'm pretty excited about your honesty because I'm in the same boat...hopefully you have the paddles that I don't have. I'm an English teacher in PG County (right outside of Washington DC) with a degree in English Lit, but I LOVE theater. I've been directing in local church and community theaters for like 10 years but never could officially teach it public schools bc of the Praxis situation. So...I'm going to look that sucker right in the face and take it. maybe you can shoot me some info on the books and flashcards. I don't have many friends in the theater teaching circuit so I'm lost...then I met you :) Hopefully you can shoot some info to me.
    -Cortnie (cortniemiller@gmail.com)
    Unknown said…
    Even I am interested in Praxis exams. Thanks for proving me this information regarding praxis exams and please someone tells me where can I get more detail?. . .

    Praxis 2 English

    Popular posts from this blog

    A Conversation With Dad

    Film Review: Red Hook Summer

    In The Closet