Highly Recommended: Lovely, Still

Such was the case for Lovely, Still, a delightful, romantic film about Robert (Martin Landau) and Mary's (Ellen Burstyn) whimsical December-December love affair.
A lonely Robert gets a new lease on life when Mary moves in across the street and asks him out on a date. What ensues is a heartwarming exploration of late-in-life romance with a sentimental twist that will leave you heartbroken.
First time director Nicholas Fackler does a fine job of layering this fable with its snow globe setting and Christmas-themed backdrop. Lovely also boasts spectacular performances from its two leads, Oscar winners Burstyn and Landau, respectively.
Through SAG screenings and my addiction to Entertainment Weekly, I usually have my finger on the pulse of good independent films. Somehow, this one slipped by me.
It screened at the Toronto Film Festival in 2008 and opened in limited release September 2010 with a total box office gross of $124,720.
This overlooked gem is not only a pleasure to watch, but worthy of a second viewing.
Lovely, Still is available for view via Netflix streaming.
Add it to your queue. You won't be disappointed.

- Don't forget to join The Urbane Urbanite Facebook Fan Page
- Follow @shy2del on Twitter
- And check out the YouTube videos to stay up-to-date on all the content.
Comments
I can just imagine what happens to evoke "heartbreak". Isn't that just great? I'll have to make sure I have something happy and upbeat planned immediately after the movie. LOL
Indeed. LOL. But I"m a sucka for a tearjerker!
And then Burstyn was robbed of her Oscar for "Requiem for a Dream" by Julia Roberts in "Erin Brokovich."